This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1023928

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Redlynch

National Park: NEW FOREST

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 319732

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

REDLYNCH CHURCH HILL SU 22 SW (north side) 7/199 Church of St. Mary

II

Anglican parish church. 1837, restored 1902. Probably by James Deane. Buff-coloured Flemish bond brick, Welsh slate roof. Plan: nave, short chancel, south porch. Porch has Tudor-arched doorway with cusped spandrels, double studded doors, coped verge to gable and pinnacles. South side of nave to right has two 2-light Tudor- arched windows with cusped lights and transoms. Diagonal buttresses to corners, coped verges with kneelers to roof. South and north sides of chancel have one 2-light Tudor-arched window with cusped lights, to east is plain 2-light pointed window, probably restored. North side of nave has four 2-light Tudor- arched windows with cusped lights, buttresses between. West end has 4-light Tudor-arched window, above is gilded clock face and limestone octagonal bellcote with ogee capping and pointed openings. Interior: porch has inner double doors with arched panels. Nave has 5-bay roof with vertical struts to principals from tie-beam, with cusped bracing at principals like pointed arches. Plain plaster walls, blind pointed arch over door. West gallery mostly dismantled 1951, but stairs with stick balusters and doors with arched panels remain. Original fittings include octagonal limestone font at west end of nave, stone altar and reredos with traceried panels and ogee hoodmould over east window with pointed hoodmoulds and attached shafts to niches either side. Polychrome tiled floor to chancel. Pews and choir stalls are late Victorian. Some good stained glass to members of Morrison family of Hamptworth Lodge (q.v.), the north and south chancel windows by Clayton and Bell, 1911, the east window unsigned of 1895. Rest of windows are diamond leaded. The church was founded as a chapel to Downton, Redlynch being part of the large Downton parish, until 1895. (Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury).

Listing NGR: SU2112320164

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 21123 20164

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023928 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2017 at 06:55:25.

End of official listing