ST MARIE'S GRANGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1023953

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1973

Statutory Address: ST MARIE'S GRANGE, SHUTE END ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST MARIE'S GRANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023953 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 14:08:19.

Location

Statutory Address: ST MARIE'S GRANGE, SHUTE END ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Clarendon Park

National Grid Reference: SU 17317 28163

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLARENDON PARK ALDERBURY SU 12 NE Shute End Road 9/57 St. Marie's Grange 9.2.73 I

House, 1835-7 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin,, enlarged and altered c1841, probably to sketches by Pugin. Red brick of local manufacture, with Chilmark stone dressings. Tiled roofs. Builder, Osmund of Sarum, at cost of £2,000, for Pugin and his second wife. Original structure a 3-storey rectangular block with wing, also 3 storeys containing chapel and attached sacristry on east. Entrance from Salisbury-Southampton road via draw or turning bridge to middle floor, alongside tall square stair tower, giving directly on to parlour, and beyond, the library, with garde-robe turret on south. Ground floor contained kitchen buttery and fuel stores, with probably servant's room and service access under chapel. Upper floor of two bedrooms, also with garde-robe in turret. Chapel led axially off library. All constructed in English bond 22-in brick diminishing by half-brick at each storey. Stair tower flat roofed with parapet, and upper levels, decorated with letters M (for Marie) AWP and stepped crosses, in vitrified black headers. Stone- mullioned windows with four centred heads, originally leaded, of which 2 survive, and now paned metal windows. Building extensively altered c1841 possibly to facilitate sale, angle with chapel built out to square to contain new entrance at lower floor level to stair hall, 2-storey bay added to chapel with brattished parapet, kitchen converted to sitting room with angled bay, many windows and doorways moved. Bell tower built at north-east corner with 'dream- holes' and conical roof, and adjoining narrow flush dormer. New works in cavity wall construction with snapped headers and Bath stone. Interior: Original front door studded, with iron knocker and spyhole. Oak ceilings of original work comprising moulded beams and chamfered joists with oak frieze, now covered, survive in original parlour and library now bedrooms, the library retaining deeply carved limestone fireplace, also some lesser fireplaces. Moulded door from library with rebus refixed on landing. Stained glass with Pugin's monogram and arms reset in later stair hall and chapel. Work of 1841 includes large oak chimneypiece with mirrors in lower sitting room, dog-leg stair with turned balusters, and ceilings with fibrous plaster friezes. Original 4 trusses of the 2-storey chapel survive behind later ceilings. While living here, 1835-7, Pugin wrote what was, probably his most important work 'Contrasts', and, inter alia, was working on Scarisbrick Hall, Lancashire. (B. Ferrey: Recollections of A.Welby Northmore Pugin (1861); Phoebe Stanton: Pugin, (1971); John Piper: Arch. Review xcviii, (1945), 81)

Listing NGR: SU1731728162

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 319949

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ferrey, B, Recollection of AN Welby Pugin, (1863)
Stanton, P, Pugin, (1971)
Piper, J, 'Architectural Review' in Architectural Review, , Vol. 98, (1945), 81

End of official listing