THE ROOKERY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1023991

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1985

Statutory Address: THE ROOKERY

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ROOKERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023991 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 12:03:23.

Location

Statutory Address: THE ROOKERY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Orcheston

National Grid Reference: SU 05859 45665

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ORCHESTON ORCHESTON ST. MARY SU 04 NE (west side) 2/193 The Rookery GV II Detached house. Mid-C17, restored 1753 by George Pitt, late C19 alterations and rear service wing. Flint and limestone, red brick services, Welsh slate roof with coped verges, brick stacks. L- plan. 2-storey, 2-window entrance front at right angles to road. Central C19 porch in buff-coloured brick with limestone, has pointed door and battlemented parapet, pointed windows on side walls, to left are 3-light French windows, with hollow-chamfer mullions and hoodmould, to right is 2-light hollow-chamfer mullioned window with hoodmould. First floor has two 2-light mullioned windows with hoodmoulds; all windows are C18 casements with margin panes, left part of facade is Cl7 wing, to right is gable of main range, with string course at attic level and coped verge. Right return is east front rendered and remodelled in C19; basement with 3-light mullioned window, to left is canted bay with plate glass sashes and battlemented parapet, to right is single sash in hollow-chamfered surround and 3-light mullioned window. First floor has four 2-light mullioned windows, dentilled eaves cornice in brick. Two dormers with flat heads and casements. Rear has gable of C17 range to left with small sash to first floor and return with C19 sash, to right is late C19 2-storey service wing in brick cavity walling; 2-storey and basement, 4-pane sashes. Left return from front has C19 casements in Cl7 wall. Interior has cellar with chamfered beams with stops, C17 fittings include some reset wainscot panelling. Ground floor fittings mostly date from early C19, first floor has doors with 6 fielded panels and fireplaces dating from 1753 restoration; stairs also. In entrance hall is stone tablet with inscription recording the 1753 restoration by George Pitt, Lord of the Manor, moved from attic chimney in late C20. (Unpublished records of RCHM (England) , Salisbury )

Listing NGR: SU0585945665

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 319829

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing