This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1024175



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ratley and Upton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 306243

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


RATLEY AND UPTON UPTON SP34NE 3/132 Upton House 07/01/52


Country house. 1695. Built for Sir Rushout Cullen, Bt. Possibly designed by one of the Smiths of Warwick. Possibly altered c.1710. Alterations or additions 1735 for William Bumstead. C19 additions. Remodelled 1927-1929 by Percy Morley Horder for the 2nd Viscount Bearsted. Ironstone ashlar; doorcase, attic storey and most of parapet of grey limestone; stone slate hipped roofs; stone ridge stacks with square shafts, string courses and cornices. Double depth plan. Largely symmetrical. 2 storeys, basement and attic; 16-window range. Entrance front of 4:1:2:3:2:1:3 bays. Renewed sashes throughout have thick glazing bars, 18-pane on ground floor, 15-pane on first floor, most in bolection moulded architraves with keystones. One-bay ranges have 24 and 20-pane sashes. Leaded 2-light roof dormers with moulded cornices. Centre and 2-bay ranges have moulded plinth, sill courses stepped up between windows, moulded string course, and cornice. Recessed centre has full-width steps. Central entrance, probably of 1735, has moulded architrave with large keystone, Tuscan half-columns and dosserets with triglyphs, and pediment. Fielded 4-panelled door, with panel above. Early C18 attic storey and broken segmental pediment has moulded round arched window with large keystone breaking into pediment. Shaped sunk panels to left and right. Projecting 2-bay ranges, have rusticated alternating quoins. 2-light mullioned basement windows. Reused lead rainwater heads and pipes dated 1735 have initials and coat of arms of William Bumstead. Central segmental pedimented roof dormers. One-bay ranges, largely of 1927-29, have central roof dormers. Cornices and parapets with balustrading above each bay. 4-bay range to left has stone lintels with keystones to all openings. Subsidiary entrance in third bay has second lintel and moulded 6-panelled door. 4-bay and 3-bay ranges have unpainted moulded wood eaves cornice and roof dormers. Attached outbuildings to left include one storey and attic kitchen wing and coach house with gable clock and octagonal lantern. Basement picture gallery attached on right. Garden front of 1:2:9:2:1 bays. Mostly 18-pane sashes with 15-pane on first floor. Basement has 2-light mullioned windows with hood moulds. Recessed centre has tall narrow central entrance of 1695. Grey limestone moulded architrave, panelled pilaster strips, entablature and segmental pediment. Splayed steps with wrought iron balustrades of c.1695. Projecting 2-bay wings have rusticated alternating quoins. Wide one-bay ranges have broad canted bays with 24- and 20-pane sashes. Lower part C19, raised and remodelled 1927-29. Basements have segmental arched windows with keystones. First floor has small flanking windows. Unpainted moulded wood eaves cornice and roof dormers throughout. Lead rainwater heads dated 1695 have initials of Sir Rushout Cullen. Interior remodelled. Entrance hall has open well staircase of reused twisted balusters with leaf bulbs. Early C18 stone chimney piece has overmantel with panel, volutes and open pediment. Dining Room has early C18 marble chimney piece with bulging Ionic pilasters. C16 moulded 4-centred arched doorway in basement. (Upton House, Warwickshire, Architectural Review, Vol. LXIX, April 1931, pp.125-131; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.439; G. Jackson-Stops, Upton House, Warwickshire; (The National Trust); Country Life, Vol. XVI, 10th September 1904; Vol. XLVI, 5th and 12th September 1936).

Listing NGR: SP3697045693

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Jackson Stops, G, Upton House Warwickshire
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 439
'Country Life' in 10 September, , Vol. 16, (1904)
'Architectural Review' in Architectural Review, , Vol. 69, (1931), 125-131
'Country Life' in 12 September, , Vol. 46, (1936)
'Country Life' in 5 September, (1936)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 42 Warwickshire,

National Grid Reference: SP 36970 45693


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024175 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2018 at 05:17:04.

End of official listing