Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1024344

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Jun-1986



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT JAMES THE GREAT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024344 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 21:07:56.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Idlicote

National Grid Reference: SP 28263 44177


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


IDLICOTE SP2844 8/156 Church of Saint James the 13/10/66 Great (Formerly listed as Parish Church of St. James the Great)


Church. C13-C14. Late C17 south chapel. Chancel: regular coursed blocks of ironstone. Red tile roof. Stone coped gable. Nave: irregular coursed ironstone rubble and coursed ironstone rubble. Stone coped gable. Wood shingled bell-turret with weathervane dated 1707 and clock on north face. South side of nave ironstone banded with limestone. Chapel: ashlar ironstone, tiled roof, stone coped gable. Chancel, nave, north porch, south chapel, south aisle. South sided nave has a lancet with lead cames; pointed arched doorway with chamfered jambs, hood mould, label stop and plank door; 2 lancets to right and a 2-light stone-mullioned and transomed window. North side of nave: C19 gabled north porch; Romanesque north doorway of c.1200 has panelled door. To left of porch a 2-light sandstone Decorated window with cusped head and lead cames. Right end of nave has a 4-light stone-mullioned window to ground floor with hood mould and label stops, lead cames, bars and wrought-iron casement fasteners. Above to gallery 2 pointed arched windows with Gothick glazing. Chancel east window of 3 lights with cusped heads and hood moulds. South chapel: end wall to left has pointed arched doorway with plank door, and hood mould. Angle buttresses. A 3-light Perpendicular window. Right end has a 3-light Perpendicular window. Both have hood moulds and label stops. Interior: C13 chancel arch. C14 nave roof of 2 bays with hammerbeam truss, collar beam and curved braces. Piscina with cusped head. South aisle has 2-bay arcade of late C13 or early C14. Octagonal piers. C17 chapel divided from chancel by 2-bay arcade of Tuscan column and 2 arches. Jacobean screen, C18 altar rails. Large box pew for manorial family. Most pews C17. 3-decker C17 pulpit with tester. C17 west gallery with solid wood treads to staircase. Plain cylindrical font with C17 front cover with ogee shaped diamond studded ribs. Chapel has C17 altar rails, C19 wall memorials to members of the Peach and Peach Keighley families. Another wall monument to Heneage Legge MDCCLIX. On east wall of chapel the carved and painted arms of the Underhill family. North wall of nave; medieval wall painting. C17 chapel added as a mortuary chapel for the Underhill family of Idlicote House (q.v.). (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, 1981, p.316; V.C.H.: Warwickshire, 1949, Vol.V, p.96).

Listing NGR: SP2826344177


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 305919

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 96
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1981), 316

End of official listing