Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024407.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:35:49.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 26489 39944


BARCHESTON SP2639 13/2 Church of St. Martin 13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Parish Church of St. Martin)


Church. C12/early C13 in origin with C14 additions of the north-west tower and south aisle. Alterations in C17 and restored 1870 and 1894. Finely jointed regular coursed limestone rubble and ashlar limestone. Stone slate roofs laid to diminishing courses. Stone coped gables. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, north-west tower. Chancel. Romanesque south doorway has plank door and hood mould with label stops and is flanked by 2-light square headed Decorated windows with hood mould. Single lancet to north. North aisle. 2 stone mullioned and transomed windows, one of ovolo section. South aisle. 3-light Perpendicular window with hood mould and label stops to east. Two 2-light Perpendicular windows with hood moulds and elongated label stops. Scratch dial on buttress. South porch. Monopitch roof. Pointed arched doorway with hood mould and headstop. Romanesque south doorway with 3 orders of moulding and decorated capitals. Plank door. Nave to left of porch: A 2-light square headed Decorated window with hood mould and label stop. West window of 2-lights with Decorated tracery. North-west tower. 3 stages with small rectangular square headed lights and ground floor. First and second floors have Perpendicular openings incorporating C13 shafts and capitals. Embattled parapet. Diagonal and offset buttresses. Moulded plinth. String course to first and second floors. Nave has stone parapet with moulded coping and finials. Two 2-light Perpendicular clerestory windows. Interior: Decorated aumbry. Bracket piscina. Chancel arch has a capital with trumpet scallop decoration and another with nailhead. Wagon roof with floral bosses. North arcade of 3 bays with round piers, one with trumpet scallop decoration and another with nailhead. Pointed west doorway to tower. Chamfered arches. South arcade of 2 bays with chamfered arches. Octagonal font with plinth with ball flower, traceried stem and bowl with head decoration. Two C15 benches in chancel. Monuments in south aisle: alabaster tomb effigies of William d.1555 and Ann Sheldon. Brass to Hugh Humphrey d.1530, Stone engraved wall memorial to Thomas Taylor, Rector of the parish. d.1716. Wood and marble wall memoral to William Brent d.1675 with broken pediment, strapwork decoration and heads of lions and angel. Marble wall plaque to Elizabeth, wife of Christopher Smith, d.1799. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol. V, 1949, pp. 6-9; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, 1981, pp. 84-5).

Listing NGR: SP2648939944


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 6-9
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1981), 84-5


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10078/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].