Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY ASCENSION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024490.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:03:54.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Mappleborough Green
National Grid Reference:


STUDLEY BIRMINGHAM ROAD SP06NE (East side) Mappleborough Green 1/200 Church of the Holy Ascension 11/12/69


Church. 1888. Designed by Julius Alfred Chatwin. Rock-faced limestone with limestone dressings. Tile roofs with coped gables. Aisled nave, chancel, south chapel and north organ chamber, south porch and west tower. Early English style. Symmetrical 4-bay nave and 2-bay chancel. South door has shafts and moulded arch with hood mould and head stops. Plank door with elaborately scrolled hinges. Timber porch on stone base has glazed tracery and half-glazed panelled double-leaf doors. Chancel has diagonal buttresses. East window of 3 stepped lancets. North and south sides have trefoiled east lancets. Low north organ chamber and south chapel have lean-to roofs. Trefoiled east lancets. Sides have single window of 4 small trefoiled lancets. Very narrow aisles have 3-light windows with Geometrical bar tracery and hood moulds. Trefoiled west lancets. Tower has moulded plinth. Stair turret on north side. 3-light west window with bar tracery. Moulded string course. Bell openings to each side of paired trefoiled lancets. Hood moulds. Crenellated parapet with gargoyle. Interior: ashlar with contrasting lighter dressings. Chancel east window has detached shafts and moulded arches. Moulded string course, stepped down and continued under north and south lancets. Lancets have rere-arches with hood moulds and stops. Paired arches to south chapel of 2 chamfered orders with octagonal pier and responds, under blank super-arch. Spandrel has quatrefoil with coat of arms. Organ in archway to north. Pair of sedilia have moulded frame with trefoils and half-trefoils in spandrels. Piscina in similar frame but without shafts and with inner trefoiled round arch. Wagon roof. Fine chancel arch has inner and outer shafts, 2 roll mouldings and hood mould with carved head stops. Low stone screen wall, incorporating pulpit, has moulded plinth, and top with ballflower ornament. Fine octagonal pulpit has upper part of oak with paired trefoiled lancets, and carved and traceried panels, and carved frieze. Nave has 4-bay arcade with alternating octagonal and round piers and responds and moulded bases and capitals. Arches of 2 chamfered orders with hood moulds and head stop to each end. Tower arch of 3 chamfered orders, without imposts. Wagon roof. Stone rib-vaulted south chapel has carved basses. Aisles have lean-to roofs on moulded polygonal corbels. Fittings: Unusual alabaster font, a lifesize kneeling angel holding lobed bowl. South chapel has good quality wrought iron screen and gates. Stained glass: fine east and west windows. North aisle north-east window dated 1900. A fine and completely unaltered example of late 19th century church desiqn. J.A. Chatwin (1829-1907) was a pupil of Sir Charles Barry and a notable Birmingham architect. (Buildings of England; Warwickshire, pp.347-348).

Listing NGR: SP0871067428


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 347-348


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14613/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].