Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024525.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:51:03.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 12380 57892


HASELOR SP15NW 7/86 Church of St. Mary and All 01/02/67 Saints


Church. C12 tower and south arcade; early C13 chancel; early C14 south aisle. Upper part of tower dated 1622. North wall rebuilt and vault chamber added 1869. Restored 1883 and 1892. Chancel of regular coursed lias; aisle and upper part of tower of coursed lias rubble; upper part of tower has oolite dressings. Tile roofs. Irregular nave and chancel, south aisle and chapel, south porch and west tower. 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. Arched south doorway with chamfered jambs and doorway. Double-leaf doors with decorative ironwork. Open porch said to be C19 (VCH). Lias ashiar and timber. Roof structure has re-used C15/C16 work, with moulded tie beams and arched braces. Chancel has 2 east buttresses. C19 three-light Decorated east window. North wall has blocked doorway and late C12 two-bay arcade to demolished north chapel. Round pillar with simple capital. Two 2-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders; east respond has leaf capital. 2-light window. South side has 2-light Decorated eastern window with trefoiled ogee lights and quatrefoil, and hood mould. Trefoiled lancet in western corner. Buttresses between chancel and nave. Nave has two C19 Decorated north windows. Gabled vault chamber in centre of north side has diagonal buttresses. 3-light window with elaborately crocketed ogee tracery, hood mould and head stops. South aisle has diagonal buttresses and single south buttress. Blank east wall. 3 much renewed C14 south windows of 2 trefoiled ogee lights; eastern window also has quatrefoil. Hood moulds. C19 west lancet. Tower of 2 stages. Stones below parapet on south side inscribed with names of churchwarden and workmen and dated 1622. Diagonal buttresses to west. C14 west window of 2 trefoiled ogee lights and quatrefoil. Upper stage has plain round-arched bell openings. C19 crenellated parapet with string course. Interior: Chancel south-western lancet has rere-arch. South transeptal arch has C13 half-round shafts with moulded capitals, and C19 arch and east respond. Fine C15 roof with curved braces, coupled rafters and central rib between collars. No chancel arch. Nave has simple late C12 three-bay south arcade of square piers with chamfered angles and imposts and single-chamfered 2 centred arches. North arch to vault chamber. Open timber roof with C16 moulded tie beams, and braced collars with central rib. Tower arch has plastered jambs and remains of C12 arch. Ceiling of C18 pew panels. Aisle windows have rere-arches. Arched braced roof with collars and 4 tie beams, the easternmost moulded. Fittings: Font, probably C12, in aisle has tapering cylindrical bowl and moulded base. Chancel has Jacobean panelling, possibly from pews. Datestones below parapet on south side of tower are said to be inscribed with the names of" Richard Skukar", Churchwarden and "Henrye Lane, Henry Hemminge, William Vaughan and John Tompkins, Workemen". (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.III. pp.113-114; Buildings of England: Warwickshire p. 408).

Listing NGR: SP1238057892


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 113-114
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 408


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09257/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].