CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1024560
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH WALK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024560.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 22:34:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Alne
National Grid Reference:
SP 11719 59476

Details

GREAT ALNE CHURCH WALK SP15NW 7/68 Church of St. Mary Magdalene 01/02/67

GV II

Small church. Medieval; west end entirely, and remainder, largely, rebuilt and vestry added 1837; aisle added 1860. Regular coursed lias with limestone dressings; chancel has some squared rubble in south wall; top of north wall and vestry of brick with dentil cornice. Tile roofs. Vestry has slate roof. Nave, chancel, north aisle and north vestry, and west porch turret. 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. Chancel has angle buttresses to east wall. C19 east window with Geometrical tracery and hood mould. South side has blocked chamfered 4-centred doorway. C15 eastern window has square head and 2 cinqfoiled lights with glazed spandrels, in deep moulded reveal. Medieval western lancet. Nave has straight-headed windows, 2 or 3 trefoiled round-arched lights, and the central window of 2 shouldered lights. West end has 2 lancets and central turret. Square first stage buttresses. Arched double-leaf doors with applied blind Y-tracery and hood mould dying into angle buttresses. Hood mould goblet. North and south sides have narrow shouldered lights. Upper stage changes from square to octagon. Moulded trefoil opening to 4 sides. String course ending in lion mask. Rendered top stage with narrow lancet openings to 4 sides. Pyramical roof. Low lean-to aisle has paired trefoiled ogee lights. North wall has 2 small 2-light chamfered stone mullioned windows. Lead-latticed lights throughout. North vestry at right angles to chancel has 6-panelled arched door in north side. East side has 4 casements with glazing bars and brick segmental arches. Interior: Chancel and nave have king post roofs with heavy timbers, partly hidden by ceiling; nave roof has additional struts and collars. Plastered walls and ceiling. East windows with hood mould. Chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders and octagonal shafts. Nave has simple panelled west gallery. 2-bay arcade of simple chamfered arches and square chamfered pier, without capitals or imposts. Aisle windows in large reveals with chamfered lintels. Fittings: C19 Gothic altar rails and pulpit. Simple stone flowerpot-shaped font. Stained glass: East window by Hardman 1860. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, p.296).

Listing NGR: SP1171959476

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
305417
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 296

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/06002/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs H. Margaret Nilsson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].