This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LIME KILN AT MOUSEHOLD COURT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LIME KILN AT MOUSEHOLD COURT

List entry Number: 1024994

Location

LIME KILN AT MOUSEHOLD COURT, GILMAN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Norwich

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Aug-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Apr-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 229108

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 21 SW GILMAN ROAD 2/354 10.8.71 Lime Kiln at Mousehold Court (Formerly listed as Lime Kiln to rear of No. 221 Sprowston Rd.) - II Lime Kiln. Circa 1780 - 1820. Red brick and flint. The main workings of the kiln are below ground and were approached originally by a staircase down a shaft. Access is now via a C20 ladder down the other shaft formerly used for hauling up sacks of lime. The original stairs lead to a circular gallery with a base of flint and an arch of brick voussoirs skirting the base of the kiln. The bowl (approximately 5m diameter) into which the chalk and coal were poured from above has air and stoke holes at its base, together with the grilles through which the lime was removed. Once fired the kiln would burn for a year and would only require stoking. It was in use until 1968, and was the last working lime kiln in the City. It is reputed to be the last of such kilns to be worked in Britain. The machine used for grinding chalk on the surface has now disappeared but the shape of the kiln has been marked in the C20 landscaped courtyard and there is a trap door to the underground structure. Interior not inspected during the re-survey.

Listing NGR: TG2361810436

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TG 23618 10436

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024994 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 04:17:07.

End of official listing