MERCHANT TAYLORS' ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1025053

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: MERCHANT TAYLORS' ALMSHOUSES, 19 AND 21, MERCHANT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MERCHANT TAYLORS' ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025053 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 18:18:46.

Location

Statutory Address: MERCHANT TAYLORS' ALMSHOUSES, 19 AND 21, MERCHANT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 59173 73276

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5973 MERCHANT STREET, Broadmead 901-1/40/485 (West side) 08/01/59 Nos.19 AND 21 Merchant Taylors' Almshouses (Formerly Listed as: MERCHANT STREET, Broadmead (West side) Nos.19 AND 21 Lloyds Bank)

GV II*

Almshouse, now bank. Dated 1701. Render over brick, rendered lateral stacks and a slate hipped roof. U-shaped plan with wings flanking front courtyard. Early Georgian style. 2 storeys; 4-window range. Symmetrical with deep projecting wings to a courtyard. Chamfered quoins, first-floor string and modillion cornice to boxed eaves; the central doorway has a good bracketed shell hood, a plain surround and 2-leaf 2-panel doors; matching doorways face across the courtyard with carved brackets to a pedimented hood. C20 cross windows flanking the main door, 3 to each side of the courtyard and 2 in the ends. Above the door is a large, painted panel bearing the arms of the Merchant Taylor's Guild, and flanking it the inscription ANNODM/1701. INTERIOR not inspected. One of Bristol's earliest brick buildings, it was built by the Guild for the accommodation of 9 persons, each side of the building having 3 dwellings.

Listing NGR: ST5917373276

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379992

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing