This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1028606



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Aug-1990

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 290593

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LITTLE BOOKHAM MANOR HOUSE LANE TQ/15/SW (west side, off) 5/196

7.9.51 Church of All Saints (formerly listed as Parish Church)


Formerly known as Little Bookham Church, but dedicated to All Saints in 1986. c,1100; south aisle added in C12 but subsequently taken down, rebuilt, and taken down again probably in C15; restored, and porch and vestry added in C19. Flint, partly plastered, with limestone dressings, the west gable weather-boarded, red tile roof, weather-boarded bell-turret. Small building, the nave and chancel in one vessel, with a south porch, north vestry, and small bell-turret at the west end. The south wall has a C15 chamfered doorway to the 2nd bay, protected by a gabled C19 porch, and to the right of this the remains of 2 bays of the former aisle arcade, consisting of semicircular arches in the masonry, and small exposed portions of the capitals (see Interior, below); the blocking under the first arch contains a C13 lancet, that under the 2nd a C15 square-headed window with 2 recessed trefoil lights with hollow spandrels and chamfered surround, and to the right of this is a blocked trefoil lancet with cavetto surround. Further to the right the chancel has a restored C15 window like the other but taller. To the left of the porch, the 1st bay of the nave has a small Norman-style window with round-headed lights. The west end has a small C12 round-headed lancet; the east end has a large C19 3-light window in C13 style. On the west end of the roof is a low square bell-turret with weather-board cladding and short splay- footed spire clad in tiles and finished with a weathervane (said to be dated 1744, with initials "IS"). Interior: the 4-bay arcade to the former south aisle is exposed, consisting of the inner third of circular columns with scalloped capitals and square abaci, and semicircular arches chamfered on this side; in the east bay the top left-hand reveal of the C15 window has a part of a re-located scratch or mass dial; the C13 window in the 2nd bay has keeled moulding, and a hoodmould; the west end wall and the west, end of the north wall each have a C12 window with deeply splayed reveal (the latter now covered on the outside by the vestry); the doorway to this vestry is the altered original north door of the nave; the south wall of the chancel has C15 piscina with quatrefoil head and sunk traceried spandrels, and the north wall has a blocked 2-centred chamfered arch; the nave has 2 massive chamfered tie-beams, the stubs of a 3rd at the west end (replaced with a tie-rod), and a wagon roof. At the west end is a tub font with latticed metal strapping, and on the west end wall are 5 large hatchments of the Pollen and Maddox families.

Listing NGR: TQ1229454017

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 12294 54017


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1028606 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 06:17:25.

End of official listing