Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1028835.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2021 at 20:05:08.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mole Valley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 17068 53376


TQ 1753 LONDON ROAD, MICKELHAM 850/8/106 Church of St Michael 28.11.51


Church. C10 origins; late-C12 nave, south aisle, chancel and west tower; side-chapel c1300; C15 west porch; 1823 restoration by P F Robinson; much re-worked 1872 when north aisle was added and remainder, apart from tower, largely rebuilt. Flint with ashlar dressings; north chapel of chequered flint and ashlar. Graduated stone slate and plain tile roofs with wooden shingles to west tower and bands of fishscale tiles to south tower. Plan: west tower with west porch; 4-bay nave with 3-bay south aisle and 2-bay north aisle built abutting north-east side-chapel; lower 2-bay chancel with south tower and north vestry. Squat 3-stage west tower has ashlar quoins, offset angle butresses and lancet windows. One C19 2-light window to north side at base. On west side, lancet and clock-face above porch which has pointed-arched, hollow-moulded, quoined entrance and C19 hoodmould. Inside porch are 2 medieval grave covers and the ceiling is coffered with nail-head decorated bosses and a billeted band; the west door is round-arched with roll-moulded hood supported by attached columns with scalloped capitals. Broached spire has louvred vents and weather-vane. Nave: plinth; offset buttresses; 3-light Perpendicular-style windows with hoodmoulds and, at west end of south aisle, original squint; band below parapet which has roll-moulded coping; at east end, raised verge with Celtic-cross-finial and, on south side, hipped dormer with 4-light leaded window and finial. North chapel has flint plinth with deep cyma-moulded ashlar band; parapet as nave, above cyma-moulded band; on north side, narrow C19 round-arched door below Perpendicular window of 2 cusped lights; on east side, wide 4-light pointed-arched window with reticulated tracery. Chancel: lancet windows; ornate buttresses at east end; three C19 lancets to east end, that at centre lower and surmounted by oculus; decorative ridge tiles; iron gable-cross. Decorative south tower has cusped 1-light windows on offset band; ashlar frieze with nail-head decoration pierced by oculi; and corbelled cornice below conical roof with cross-finial. Interior: west door, probably C10, is tall and narrow with chalk quoins. C19 round-arched aisle arcades on columns with moulded capitals. Norman chancel arch, raised 1872, has diamond and dog-tooth decoration. Chancel window surrounds have roll-moulded arches on attached columns with moulded capitals. Norman font has plinth; 4 colonettes and central column supporting square font with moulded base and tapered sides decorated with blind arcading. In north chapel, monument of William Wyddowson, d1514, and wife, comprises chest-tomb which has traceried panels with shields in quatrefoils, and moulded base and lid; and wall monument which has brass figures and inscriptive text within traceried aedicule and below cornice with vine frieze and decorative band. Wooden dado formed using C17 embossed panels. In chancel: ashlar reredos flanked by carved wooden panels which are probably C17 and brought from Bohemia. Also, ashlar and marble rococo wall monument to Mrs Phillipa Walton, d 1749, with shell features and swan-neck pediment. Set into nave floor are a medieval grave-slab with cross and others of C17 and C18. C17, C18 and C19 banners and hatchments. Stained glass reset in entrance partition is probably C16 from a larger window. Elaborately-carved wooden pulpit brought from Belgium 1840.

Listing NGR: TQ1706853376


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Dec 2006
Reference: IOE01/16133/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul Woolterton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].