TQ 16SW BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE ESHER PARK AVENUE
5/143 Church of St. George
Church, now disused. 1540 with south chapel of 1725-6, probably by Sir John Vanbrugh,
north aisle chapel added in 1812. Stone with flint and tile in chequerboard pattern
to nave and chancel, brick aisle chapels, plain tiled roofs with Horsham slabs to
eaves, hipped slate roof over square wood and weatherboard western bell turret- louvred
aobove under wooden and copper weathervane. Nave and chancel with north aisle chapel
south chapel with porch attached to the west end.
West front: double planked and ribbed west doors with lancet window and diamond shape
wooden clock face above. Plat band and brick plinth to south side, stone coped
battlements over north aisle chapel. Windows to nave chancel and chapel, arched
glazing bar sashes. Double planked doors to south porch. On north and south sides
of chancel are aedicular type wall monuments- stone with illegible inscriptions on
south side, dedicated to John Cobbett, died 1755, on north.
Interior: Nave and chancel in one, open timber roof with tie and collar beams, 3 bays
to nave, 2 bays with crown-post truss to chancel. Oak round pier arcade to north
with moulded capitals and panelled gallery between piers. South wall: screen to
Newcastle pew of two Corinthian angle piers and columns with pediment above. Gallery
to west end, 1840-1, the gift of Sir Thomas Lynch, Governor of Jamaica. Panelled
with central oval bow on thin fluted round wood columns. Newcastle pew to south:
square with moulded panelled ceiling, central octagonal panel, greek style moulding
to edge, coved.
Fittings: 4 painted wood shields over south wall, C20 circular scalloped marble
font on baluster stem. C18 three-decker panelled pulpit with tester. Fine pedimented
reredos, panelled and articulated by Ionic pilasters with turned baluster altar
rails to front dated 1722.
Monuments: South nave wall over south door: dedicated to Barwell Brown 1820. Stone,
square with moulded composite columns, battlemented across top. Centre arched panel
with rich tracery and foliage decoration.
Thomas Winchop : stone cartouche with centre inscription, winged putti to top and skull
South Chancel wall: Dedicated to Elizabeth Ellis. 1804 by Flannel R.A. Green marble
ground, white marble above with rich foliage carving, Greek geometric pattern around
the edge. Further monument below to Elizabeth Ellis : chest tomb in Greek Revival
style- pedimented with corner palmettes and dove carving.
South chancel wall (over the window): Tomb dedicated to Elizabeth Augustus. Died 1757
grey marble ground with white rectangular panel. Greek geometric pattern, drapery
cresting and two dogs flanking shield.
East wall, north half: Dedicated to Henry de Panthieu. Died 1808. Grey and white
marble, 2 stage aedicular type monument, segmental pediment containing oak tree to
top. Fluted centre panel . Panel below to John Panthieu. 1817. Panel on square
oak garlanded cill blocks.
North chancel wall. Tomb to Dame Mary Fowler. Died 1738. By Henry Cheere. White
stone rectangle with flanking scrolls, rich egg and dart moulding, husk garlands
down the sides. Projecting cill band with cherub's head on the apron below.
North aisle chapel, west wall: Monument to Leopold and Princess Charlotte. 1817 by
F.J. Williamson. Venetian window style with arched centre panel showing Prince
Leopold and Princess Charlotte tending the poor. Flat topped left panel depicts the
death of Princess Charlotte. Right hand panel depicts Prince Leopold accepting the
Crown of Belgium. Originially placed on the staircase on the staircase at Claremont.
Listing NGR: TQ1394864622