THE OLD DOWER HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1030276

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Aug-1988

Statutory Address: THE OLD DOWER HOUSE, LOWER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD DOWER HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030276 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 03:51:27.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD DOWER HOUSE, LOWER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)

Parish: Ufford

National Grid Reference: TM 29818 52121

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

UFFORD LOWER STREET TM 25 SE (North side) 9/147 16/3/66 The Old Dower House (formerly listed as Red House) - II

House, built as a rectory. Mid C18. For Jacob Chilton, (rector 1725- 1765). Red Flemish bond brick with a plain tile roof. Two storeys with attic. Entrance front: 3 bays symmetrically disposed. Central doorway with classical surround with panelled reveal. Door of 6 raised and fielded panels with fanlight which projects into an open dentilled pediment supported by scroll brackets. To either side of this are mid-C19 canted bay windows which have hipped C20 roofs. To the first floor are a central sash window of 3 x 4 panes and at either side tripartite windows with central sashes of 3 x 4 panes and lateral sashes of 1 x 4 panes. All have heads of gauged brick. The surrounds to the lateral windows appear to be of renewed brick. Dentilled cornice below the eaves. Three dormer windows to the attic with flat roofs, each having sashes of 3 x 2 panes. Left hand side: two gables, the right hand one being blank and the left hand one having to its right hand side sash windows to the ground and first floors, each of 3 x 4 panes. Chimney stacks flush with each gable and each of 3 flues. Right hand side: projecting C19 wing with a 1/2-glazed door and cambered head. Two-light cambered-headed window to left of this and a 3- light window at right and a ribbon window to the first floor. To left is a further outshut, slightly recessed, with a cambered-headed 2-light window at right and a 1/2-glazed door with cambered head to left of centre. Three- light cambered-headed window to left of it and to right a sash window of 3 x 4 panes. To the first floor are 3 sash windows, each of 3 x 4 panes. The attic has a central 2-light dormer with two lateral single-light dormers. Interior: not inspected.

Listing NGR: TM2981852121

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 286560

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing