This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BAPTIST CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BAPTIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1031546

Location

BAPTIST CHURCH, NEW STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: New Forest

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lymington and Pennington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 468985

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SZ 3295 LYMINGTON NEW STREET

693/1/10008 Baptist Church

II

Baptist chapel. 1834; with C20 alterations. Rendered brick. Slate roof with gabled ends. PLAN: Auditorium with gallery at west end and on north and south sides. Entrance at west end into vestibule under gallery. Basement originally contained school. EXTERIOR: 2-storey, 1:3:1 bay west front, centre three bays project with a pedimented tetrastyle portico with Ionic half-columns on the first floor and occulus in the tympanum; round-headed windows with multi-pane cast-iron frames; central round-headed doorway with large C20 glazed porch. Band at first floor level, continued around 3-bay sides, which have round-headed gallery windows and straight-headed windows below, all with cast-iron frames with small opening centre lights. On north side, doorway to basement with flush-panel double doors. Rear [E], three high-level round-headed windows with multi-pane cast-iron frames and lean-to below. INTERIOR: Gallery on three sides on thin cast-iron columns and with ornate cast-iron front; gallery dado-panelling and stairs. Seating and rostrum replaced. Ceiling covered with modern tiles. Stairs to former organ loft with stick balusters and column newels. NOTE: The Baptists formed a church in Lymington in the late C17 and built a new meeting house in New Street in 1769. The present chapel is a rebuilding of 1834. SOURCE: RCHME, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in South-West England; p.142.



Listing NGR: SZ3165894204

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Stell, C, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South West England, (1991), 142

National Grid Reference: SZ 32377 95606

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031546 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 11:12:22.

End of official listing