RED HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1031603
Date first listed:
18-Feb-1998
Statutory Address:
RED HOUSE, 13, UPTON AVENUE E7

Map

Ordnance survey map of RED HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031603 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 06:51:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
RED HOUSE, 13, UPTON AVENUE E7

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Newham (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ4048584477

Details

TQ 48 SW 251/4/10021

UPTON AVENUE, E7 13 (Red House)

II

House, later converted into club. There was a building on this site in 1717 and c1760 brickwork to north gable and east front survives, but this building was extensively remodelled in the 1880s. In 1933 it became a club, with 1940s caretaker's flat raised to two storeys in the 1960s erected on site of late C19 kitchen and services and the entire ground floor of the east elevation was converted into a single bar. Principal west front of1880s of red brick with stuccoed dressings; roof concealed by parapet and end brick chimneystacks. Two storeys and basement; six windows. Larger projecting bay to north under curved gable has four-light French windows and balcony with pierced balustrade over canted bay to ground floor. Other windows are tall casements. Parapet has panels of pierced balustrading and elaborate urns. Moulded bands between floors and end quoins. Wide porch with cornice having central curved pediment with raised design and pierced balustrading to balcony supported on four rusticated Tuscan columns. North front is mainly C 18 brickwork and east elevation has full-height bowed bay of the same date. Interior features remain of the 18805. Entrance hall has imperial staircase with elaborate wrought and cast iron balustrading with mahogany handrail and series of doors, some with carved surrounds. North ground floor room has marble fireplace with round-headed arch, bearded masked keystone and high relief panels of fruit. South room has some Minton floor tiles. Both rooms have c1880 window shutters and plaster cornices. Roof structure is of 1880s. Bell of 1762 in upstairs front office has been resited from a demolished cupola on the roof A Dutch merchant lived in a house here in 1717. Later it was the home of Mr Tuthill, the manufacturer of early trade union banners and in 1933 it became St Anthony's Catholic Club.



Listing NGR: TQ4048584477

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
469074
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10810/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].