Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031706.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:57:00.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:



DENSTON TOP GREEN Church of St Nicholas 19-DEC-61


A random flint church with stone dressings and solid stone buttresses. Built on the site of a C12 church. The West tower is late C14 and the remainder is late C15. In 1475 Sir John Howard and Sir John Broughton obtained letters patent from King Edward IV to found a perpetual chantry. The west tower has diagonal buttresses and a castellated parapet. The nave and chancel, which continue without a break, and the aisles have castellated parapets and panel traceried windows. An octagonal staircase tower on the north side led to the rood loft and aisle roof. The south porch has a fan vault, an external canopied niche above the arch and a castellated holy water stoop in the angle of the south-east buttress. The C15 south door has traceried ornamentation in the upper panels. The interior has been little altered since the C17 and presents an unusually complete picture of a medieval church with stalls for chantry priests and benches for parishioners. The 7-bay chancel and nave has a fine original arch braced cambered tie-beam roof and a cornice carved with lions, hounds, hares and harts. There are C17 shields hearing the arms of the Robinson family superimposed on larger shields of earlier date. The moulded and embattled roof beam and the lower part of the traceried roof screen remains. There are fine choir stalls with traceried fronts and parclose screens dividing them from the chancel aisles. Backing on to the roof screen there are 4 misericords 3 are carved with foliage and 1 is carved with a crane holding a stone. The altar, communion rail and octagonal pulpit are of the C17. The bench ends have carved animals copied from the medieval bestiary, and they also have a skirting, originally used to keep in place the rushes provided for kneeling upon. Brasses include a fine brass of Henry and Margaret Everard (1524), a brass of a lady of the Drury family (1530) and a brass inscription to William Burn (1591[. North of the chancel there is an altar tomb with 2 shrouded cadavers of unknown name. The C15 octagonal font is carved with representations of the 7 sacraments and the crucifixion.

Listing NGR: TL7602052950


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/10907/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Gateshill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].