This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

195-197, KINGS ROAD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 195-197, KINGS ROAD

List entry Number: 1031883

Location

195-197, KINGS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Kensington and Chelsea

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Sep-2002

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 489777

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

249/0/10241 KING'S ROAD 20-SEP-02 195-197

GV II

Henry J. Beans (formerly the Six Bells). Public house, 1898, by G.R. Crickmay and Son. Four storey exterior of rendered brick; slate roof. EXTERIOR: triple bay gabled front of three storeys with a jettied attic. Ground floor altered, but retains carved brackets in the form of winged devils. Entrance to upper flats from the recessed entrance to the left, which has a plank door with decorative furniture, set beneath a Tudor arched opening. First and second floors sport oriel windows after the manner of Shaw's House in Ipswich: leaded lights, with decorative aprons at second floor level. Jettied attic storey with dentil enrichment to wall-plate, cornice and gable surrounds. INTERIOR: ground floor much altered. Upper floors (not inspected) are flats. HISTORY: this has long been the site of a public house, and was celebrated for its bowling green. The rebuilding involved the loss of a fairly ordinary two-storey building and its replacement with this influential design, which shows the clear influence of Norman Sham and Arts and Crafts architecture. An article in 'Licensing World' (14 March 1914) described the pub as the prototype of the 'Mock Antique Tavern', a new style of pub design which supplanted the 'Gin Palace', and which was subsequently built in considerable numbers. The pub underwent much alteration in 1959 when it was reopened as 'The Bird's Nest at the Six Bells'. Further alterations followed in 1983 when it acquired its current name. In spite of changes to the ground floor it remains a fine and novel example of Late Victorian public house design. SOURCE: Mark Girouard, 'Victorian Pubs' (1975), 111 & 190.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Girouard, M, Victorian Pubs, (1975), 111,190

National Grid Reference: TQ 27201 78039

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031883 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-May-2018 at 10:47:42.

End of official listing