Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1032013

Date first listed: 01-Sep-1953

Statutory Address: WORLINGHAM HALL


Ordnance survey map of WORLINGHAM HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032013 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2019 at 09:27:34.


Statutory Address: WORLINGHAM HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney (District Authority)

Parish: Worlingham

National Grid Reference: TM4427890151


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WORLINGHAM TM 49 SW 2/59 Worlingham Hall 1-9-53


Mansion. C18 and possibly C17 core (said to have been originally built by John Felton, d.1703); enlarged and remodelled c.1800 by Francis Sandys for Robert Sparrow. Brick and stucco; slated roof. 2 storeys and attics. The entrance front has 7 bays, arranged 2:3:2; wider entrance bay, the bays to each side flanked by giant Roman Doric pilasters which support a reeded frieze across the centre. Moulded wooden mutule eaves cornice. Flat parapet, raised and panelled over the centre bays. Sash windows with glazing bars in flush frames; tripartite centre window, the side lights detached. Curved open entrance porch of stone, in the Roman Doric order; inset 6-panel door. The right hand return front of 9 bays, 2:5:2, the 5 centre bays set forward and the centre 3 forming a curved ground floor bay. Extending to the left of the main block is a single-storey ll-bay orangery with large small-paned casement windows and matching doors; the 5 central bays are divided by engaged wooden columns with flanking antae and were formerly pedimented. The orangery leads to the former picture gallery, now renovated and used as a squash court. In the corresponding position to the right of the house is a colonnade, open to the front, which seems to have originally led to a small domed summerhouse. The interior is largely unaltered. Segmental-vaulted entrance hall. Fine octagonal staircase hall with an Imperial stair of stone; delicate wrought- iron balustrading and mahogany handrail. At the top of the first flight of stairs is a pilastered and pedimented doorcase. At first floor level the octagon has a band of key fret, 4 opposed open arches and plaster roundels of classical subjects. Lozenge-coffered vault with glazed lantern. Pilastered dining room with oval-panelled ceiling; the saloon also has an enriched ceiling. The library is of unusual design, the central section having bowed sides; the ends are divided by paired columns and antae and have panelled segmental ceilings. One bedroom has a frieze enriched with bucrania, carried across a screen at one end of the room. Some good fireplaces, 2 with painted decoration. Country Life 12.3.70, pp.624-628.

Listing NGR: TM4427890151


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 282210

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
'Country Life' in 12 March, (1970), 624-628

End of official listing