CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1032041
Date first listed:
01-Sep-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, LOWESTOFT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032041.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 22:48:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, LOWESTOFT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
North Cove
National Grid Reference:
TM 46162 89390

Details

NORTH COVE LOWESTOFT ROAD TM 48 NE 6/29 Church of St. Botolph 1-9-53 GV I Parish church. Medieval; chancel restored 1874, nave re-floored and re-seated 1886. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble, formerly plastered, with stone dressings; the tower incorporates a considerable amount of brick, with brick quoins and window openings. Continuous thatched roof. Square unbuttressed tower, probably C15: lancet west window, single-light belfry openings. Later crenellated parapet. The north east nave quoin is composed of field stones, suggesting the nave fabric is Cll or earlier; it has been heightened and extended to the west. Good C12 south nave doorway with colonnettes to the jambs and 3 decorative orders to the arch, including chevrons and large nailheads. Simple C13 north doorway; the adjacent lancet window is also C13 but has been rebuilt in brick. The other nave windows are C15, with square heads. C14 porch with original side windows; knapped flint facade, the gable rebuilt in brick with lozenge pattern flushwork, probably in C18. 2-bay chancel: the lower walls are probably C12, the remainder rebuilt in C14. 2-light windows, largely renewed; 3-light window with reticulated tracery, renewed in C19. Interior. No chancel arch. Arch-braced nave roof of 4 bays, probably C15; the rafters are ceiled over. The wall posts rest on original wooden corbels carved as heads. The easternmost roof bay has a crenellated wallplate. In the chancel is a restored piscina with cusped ogee arch, and adjacent a drop-sill sedilia. Well-preserved early C15 octagonal font, the faces of the bowl carved alternately with angels bearing shields and with lions; under the bowl there are heads with headdresses (cf. Gisleham). On the north wall of the nave are 3 painted biblical texts within circular panels, said to be of late C17 date; there is a 4th in the chancel. There are extensive C14 murals on the north and south chancel walls, showing scenes from the life of Christ. In the nave there are 2 late C18 and early C19 wall monuments to members of the Farr family. One hatchment is placed over the north door of the nave.

Listing NGR: TM4616289390

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
282180
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05622/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr R. Keith Drewery. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].