Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032168.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2021 at 21:01:02.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:



2/1 Church of St. Andrew - 27/11/54 GV I

Parish church. Medieval work comprises tower, together with ruinous walls of nave, chancel, north and south aisles and north sacristy of what was once a large and impressive church. Present church erected 1672 within ruins of nave. Random flint rubble, stone dressings; the C17 church has much re-used material together with some red brick and a thatched roof. Early-mid C14 tower: tall, with 3 principal stages and a crenellated parapet; diagonal buttresses to west, angle buttresses to east. At ringing chamber level on the south side is a cusped ogee opening. The tracery of the bell chamber openings is missing, Remainder of medieval church is C15, although the surviving responds of the aisle arcades are C14. 7-bay aisles: the south aisle is the more complete and has 6 intact window openings with small remains of tracery. The aisles and chancel are faced with knapped flint, the south aisle and the chancel having a plinth of panelled and chequered flushwork. The chancel projects one bay east of the aisles, with very tall windows to the north and south and a very large east window. The buttresses to the east wall have fine canopied statue niches. Some carved stone corbels which supported the chancel roof still remain. The C17 church has 2-light diamond-leaded windows divided by wooden mullions; segmental arches with raised stone keys; C19 east window in stone. Re-used north doorway, the arch enriched with fleurons; re-used south doorway within a gabled porch. Inside, on the north and south walls, are inscriptions: 'James Gilbert put it out 1672' and 'Enoch Girling put it out 1672'. Fine C15 carved octagonal font; 3 C15 poppyhead benches at west end of nave; carved pulpit incorporating some C17 woodwork. Arms of George III beneath tower arch.

Listing NGR: TM5228881875


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/09567/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Angela Clark. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].