CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1032261
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032261.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:12:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Thwaite
National Grid Reference:
TM 11358 68153

Details

THWAITE CHURCH LANE TM 16 NW 3/87 Church of St George 29.7.55

-- II* Parish church. Medieval, restored c.1870 and 1904. Nave, chancel, south porch. A west tower once existed. Flint rubble, stone dressings. Chancel has knapped flint facing of c.1870 to south and east. Red brick porch. Plaintiled roof with ridge tiles. Nave has mainly C14 windows with 2-centred and pointed segmental arches; most are original. One renewed square-headed C15 window to south. To west, a moulded doorway has original doors with remains of tracery; above is a 3-light window with cusped intersecting tracery. West end largely rebuilt c.1870 when bell turret was added. C14 south doorway, also moulded, retains original door. Good porch of c.1500 has moulded entrance arch on shafted jambs; over the entrance is a blocked cusped niche. Small incomplete 2-light side windows. Original arch-braced roof with embattled wallplates and collars; each of the 6 wallposts terminates in a carved head. North wall of chancel has an original lancet window of c.1200. South chancel has 2 C14 and C15 windows, the latter square-headed and original, and a restored Priest's doorway with narrow 2-centred arch. 3-light east window with reticulated tracery. Interior. 7-bay hammerbeam nave roof, probably C15, with moulding and embattled ornament to wallplates and hammerbeams; the braces between the hammerbeams and principal rafters have sweeping curves. The nave is said to have been re-roofed in 1904 re-using old material, although it is possible only the 2 narrower bays at the west end are of this date. Chancel roof ceiled over; moulded and embattled wallplates. At north west nave the doorway to former tower stair has original door. Simple 2-centre arched piscina and adjacent drop-sill sedilia. Font, perhaps of c.1400, has octagonal bowl with traceried panels. Fine C15 pulpit, each side carved with 2 ogee-arched panels and pierced quatrefoils below; the base is original. Reading desk re-uses late C16 carved woodwork. Simple pine benches of c.1870.

Listing NGR: TM1135868153

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281672
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08289/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. C. A Seinet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].