CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1032265
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, SCHOOL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032265.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 23:38:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, SCHOOL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Monk Soham
National Grid Reference:
TM 21362 65083

Details

MONK SOHAM SCHOOL ROAD (off) TM 26 NW 2/156 Church of St Peter 29.7.55 - I

Parish church. Medieval, restored 1860. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble with stone dressings; nave heightened in red brick. The chancel is rendered and there is remains of render to the nave and upper half of the tower. Slated roofs. Early C14 square tower in 2 stages;.crenellated parapet decorated with chequer-pattern flushwork. 3-stage diagonal buttresses to west. Moulded west doorway. Lancet windows to ground floor (north and south) and at ringing chamber level (north, south and west). 2-light belfry openings, that to the south with more elaborate tracery. Nave walls are substantially early C14, with contemporary moulded north and south doorways. In C15 the walls were heightened and 3-light windows inserted, 3 to each side. C15 porch, formerly of high quality but much of the decorative work now lost or badly decayed. Entrance arch is enriched with fleurons, shields and crowns on both outer and inner faces; enriched hoodmould on mask stops, the spandrels formerly carved. 3 empty canopied niches above and to each side of the entrance. Front has remains of complete flushwork panelling. Embattled red brick parapet. Early C14 chancel has unaltered fenestration: regularly-spaced lancet windows with pointed trefoil heads, 3 to south, 4 to north. Unmoulded Priest's doorway. Very large east window of 5 lights with cusped intersecting tracery, said to be from Bury St Edmunds abbey. Interior. Nave has C15 8-bay arch-braced roof with false hammerbeams; short king-posts above the collars; the braces, purlins and ridge piece are all moulded. Enriched cornice, continued onto the hammerbeams. At the east end is the rood beam, enriched with moulding and brattishing. Chancel roof ceiled over; C19 wallplate. The chancel windows have internal hoodmoulds, linked together to form a continuous string course around the walls. Remains of canopied piscina in chancel, cut off flush with the wall; the credence shelf survives. Another piscina in the nave. East splay of south east nave window has a C15 canopied image niche. A simpler niche immediately west of the north nave doorway. Rood stair in north east nave, with doorways above and below. C15 octagonal font, the bowl panels carved with the Seven Sacraments and the crucifixion; against the base are seated figures and the Signs of the Evangelists. All the carving is defaced. Restored pulpit, dated 1604. 13 medieval benches with poppyhead ends at west end of nave. Other seating is later C19. Tower screen incorporates C14 tracery, perhaps from a former rood screen. Large C14 iron-bound chest in nave. In the base of the tower is a solid-tread stair to the ringing chamber; this is probably original and a rare survival.

Listing NGR: TM2136265083

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281580
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06087/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Routen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].