CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1032340
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032340.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:06:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Bedfield
National Grid Reference:
TM 22713 66347

Details

BEDFIELD CHURCH LANE TM 26 NW 2/17 Church of St Nicholas 29/7/55

GV I

Parish church. Medieval; chancel restored 1870. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble with stone dressings; nave has remains of render. Nave roof is leaded, the chancel plaintiled. C15 tower: square, with 4 stages and crenellated parapet. Diagonal buttresses to west and lateral buttresses to east, projecting to north and south. Flushwork decoration to plinth, buttresses and parapet. Moulded west doorway with fleuron-enriched arch. Above is a 3-light window, to each side and above which are 3 canopied statue niches. Stonework to doorway, window and niches largely renewed C19. 2nd stage has small trefoil-headed windows to north and south. 2-light belfry openings, that to the south blocked. Nave has C12 core: original north doorway with one order of colonnettes and a chevron arch. Early C14 south doorway with medieval door. Various late C14 and C15 windows, 2 to south with mask stops to the hoodmoulds. C15 porch: wide hoodmoulded entrance with cinquefoil-headed niche above; blocked cinquefoil-headed single-light side windows. Original crown-post roof. C12 chancel, extended to east in C14. To the south, 2 2-light Perpendicular windows with square heads, one substantially original. Altered Priest's doorway. To the north is a single lancet window. 3-light east window with Geometrical tracery, inserted 1872. Interior. C14 or early C15 coupled-rafter nave roof with scissor-braced collars and a moulded cornice enriched with fleurons; original boarding between the ashlar pieces; narrow boarded section at east end is probably for a canopy of honour. Arch-braced chancel roof of 1870. Rood stair in south east nave, with an arch in the east splay of a window. Empty niches to each side of the chancel arch. Chancel has a C14 piscina with 2-centred arch; adjacent window has low sill for sedilia. Early C15 octagonal font, the 8 bowl panels carved with 5 different traceried designs and 3 shields. Fine early C17 font cover: panelled base with detached columns at the angles; openwork above, with carved brackets converging on a central column which terminates in a spike finial. At west end of nave are 8 benches with ends terminating in scrolls, perhaps C16. Remainder of seating is of c.1870. Early C17 pulpit with bookboard on carved brackets. C15 dado of rood screen with traceried panels painted with Old Testament prophets. Reredos of 1870 incorporates Lord's Prayer, Commandments and Creed.

Listing NGR: TM2271366347

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281441
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07547/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Whitehouse. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].