CHURCH COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1032448

Date first listed: 09-May-1988

Statutory Address: CHURCH COTTAGE, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032448 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 16:33:01.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH COTTAGE, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Hessett

National Grid Reference: TL 93628 61847

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 96 SW HESSETT THE STREET (WEST SIDE)

4/81 Church Cottage

GV II

House, late C14 and c.1500-1530. Alterations of C18, C19 and c.1970. 2 storeys (1 storey with attics until c.1976). 3-cell plan of open-hall form. Timber-framed and plastered. Concrete plaintiled roof with axial chimney, the shaft rebuilt in mid C20 red brick. Small-pane casements of c.1970 and gabled plaintiled entrance porch with half-glazed panelled door. A fragmentary mid/late C14 building of 2 bays forms the nucleus of the house. The main entrance doorway survives, with an arched head of vigorous ogee form. It appears to lead into a small open hall: to its right is an open truss with a concealed archbraced tiebeam, indicating a possible croglofft on the site of the present chimney. To left is evidence for a crosswing, demolished by C19. A 2-bay open hall with service-cell was added to right c.1500-1530. The open truss has an arch-braced tiebeam, the braces rising from shafts. A second open truss is adjacent to the present chimney which replaced in late C16 an original one of plaster. The service cell to right has very heavy lodged 1st floor joists. Tension braced close-studding. The end wall was half-hipped. The diamond-mullioned front window in the hall remains in part. Crownpost roof: square posts with thin 2-way braces. In late C16 an upper floor with good chamfered joists was inserted in the hall, and a lintelled open fireplace with limestone piers which were probably removed from the demolished Abbey of St. Edmundsbury. In C18, a 1st floor was inserted into the C14 hall and that structure was re-roofed. Major alterations of c.1970 included a rear extension and new higher roof over the entire medieval section.

Listing NGR: TL9362861847

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 281184

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing