CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1032497
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032497.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:33:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Redlingfield
National Grid Reference:
TM 18638 70721

Details

REDLINGFIELD CHURCH ROAD TM 17 SE 4/156 Church of St. Andrew 29.7.55 II* GV

Parish church. Partly medieval; early C16 stump of tower; chancel rebuilt c.1800. Restored and re-furnished 1873. Nave, chancel, south porch, remains of small west tower. C14 nave of flint rubble (formerly plastered) with stone dressings; the walls were later heightened in red brick. Tower stump is of red brick with diaperwork in dark headers; above is a timber framed and plastered belfry, probably of C16-C17 date, with a gabled pantiled roof. Red brick chancel. Nave has plaintiled roof; chancel has glazed black pantiles. South nave wall has 2 C14 2-light windows, one with carved hoodmould stops. Simple C14 north and south doorways, that to the north blocked. Simple porch, much restored. Chancel has re-set C14 windows and Priest's doorway, including a good 3-light east window with reticulated tracery and carved stops to the hoodmould. Interior. No chancel arch. 5-bay nave roof, perhaps c.1500, each truss with arched-braces from the wallposts and further braces to a high collar. At the foot of each wallpost is a carved head: most of these seem to be original. Moulded cornice. Chancel roof has a vernacular form. At the south east corner of the nave is a trefoil-arched piscina. Good C15 octagonal font, the bowl with shield-bearing angels alternating with the Signs of the Evangelists; against the stem are 4 lions and between them smaller Wild Men. Pyramidal font cover, perhaps C18. On the north wall of the nave are the Arms of George IV.

Listing NGR: TM1863870721

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281097
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].