CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1032755
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032755.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 16:55:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Bacton
National Grid Reference:
TM 05318 67199

Details

BACTON CHURCH ROAD TM 06 NE

2/10 Church of St Mary

29.7.55

GV I

Parish church, mainly C14 and C15. Mainly flint rubble walling (the chancel is plastered) with freestone dressings. Nave clerestory of flushed flint with good flushwork emblems in panels of freestone. Mainly slated roofs; the aisle roofs leaded and low-pitched. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles, north vestry. The mid C14 tower incorporates a reset round-arched west doorway of perhaps C12 origin with later hoodmould. Y-traceried and dagger-traceried belfry windows, grotesque gargoyles and pinnacles. A freestone-quoined red brick stair turret was added to the south side in C16. Mid/late C14 aisles in 5 bays: octagonal columns with moulded capitals; eastern side windows with early Perpendicular tracery (but east end windows with net tracery of Decorated form). The chancel also has late C14 side windows with square heads. South chancel doorway of c1300, the hoodmould stopped upon a pair of carved crowns. Remodelling of the west end of both aisles and construction of south porch both perhaps early C15. Early C16 east window. Circa 1500 the aisles were raised and clerestories added to the nave. In the side walls at high level are two inscriptions carved in a limestone panel, one requesting prayer for Sir James Hobart, Attorney-General under Henry VII. A fine hammerbeam roof of 10 bays in the nave: the upper tier of hammerbeams support arch braces up to collars and short kingposts. Wallposts are in the form of pinnacled canopies, beneath which there must once have been carved figures between the clerestory windows. The whole roof is greatly enriched, and the canopy of honour is brightly painted. The lean-to aisle roofs are contemporary, with carved bosses and moulded wallplates. The chancel roof is cambered with arch bracing, and is also fully coloured. The rood screen has good tracery, but the lower panels were removed in C19. On the south side are rood loft stairs and doorway. Roofs and screen restored 1860 and 1864 by W Butterfield. Octagonal font of c1500; angels bearing shields on some faces, roses on others, and beneath the bowl are more supporting angels. Two good C15 benches with poppyhead ends and figures upon the buttresses; traceried ends and backs. Two sets of late C16/early C17 benches with plain poppyheads. Over the chancel arch is a doom wall painting. Two wall tablets with cartouches to George Pretyman (1732) and his widow (1738). A painted memorial behind the pulpit to Thomas Smyth (1702). In the south aisle are at least 7 marble C18 floor slabs.

Listing NGR: TM0531867199

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
280492
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12342/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].