SK 37 SQ
PARISH OF BARLOW
HACKNEY LANE (West Side)
The Parish Church of St Lawrence
Parish Church. Early C13, with additions and alterations C14 and C15, and neo-Romanesque chancel 1867, by S Rollinson. C20 furnishings. Ashlar and coursed rubble coal measures sandstone, with quoins, coped gables with ball and cross finials, and stone slated roofs.
Nave with bell-cote, south porch and south aisle chapel, and chancel with vestry to north wall. Six-bay nave with blocked clerestorey lights to first bay, one square-headed, the other a former C17 two-light window with segmental arched heads. Bellcote with masonry west wall, with plain chamfered opening and louvred shutter. This was enlarged to form a bell tower, now with weather-boarded cheeks, and leaded ogree roof with a wooden finial and a weathervane. Gable south porch with copings, and a stepped and chamfered arch rising from moulded imposts. Stone benches with wooden plank seats. The porch encloses a C13 quoined doorway with a semi-circular arched head, springing from plainly-moulded imposts. Above, a chamfered hood mould, with a stone head set above it. Planked and studded door, set into a panelled oak surround, with a semi-circular head. A stone staircase rises to the east of the porch. Transeptal south chapel beneath a monopitch extension to the nave roof, with a five light Perpendicular window, having plainly moulded mullions with shallow ogree heads and diamond leaded lights. Two-light Decorated pointed east window, the lights with trefoil heads which support an apex quotrefoil. Remaining nave bay with step to head of single pointed early Decorated 'Y' tracery window. Blocked priests door, C13, with massive irregular quoins and rounded ends to deep lintel. Shallow clasping buttress to southeast corner. Two bay neo-Romanesque nave, rising from a plain stepped and chamfered plinth, shallow buttresses and two plain C19 semi-circular headed windows with quoined and chamfered surrounds. Clasping buttresses to east end which has a tripartite window with semi-circular arched heads. Wheel window above, to gable apex, with moulded spokes. Vestry with C19 two-light window with semi-circular heads to lights and a moulded column with a cushion capital. Plain buttresses to north wall, and steps to plain basement doorway. Semi-circular headed doorway to west wall. Nave north wall with a single light square-headed window and a two-light window to the west end with segmental heads. West window with tall chamfer mullioned four light window with transoms beneath plain drip moulds.
Interior. Organ to west end, and above a C19 font, with a circular bowl with foliage decoration, standing on a moulded stem. Late C19 roof trusses. Window in nave north wall retains medieval splayed reveals. Stepped chancel arch with a roll moulding to the inner arch. Reset medieval piscina in chancel wall, disturbed during demolition of earlier east end in 1967 as part of remodelling. C19 double seat and piscina in south wall. Early C20 screens to chancel arch, and screen of 1938 to south aisle chapel. To the south side of the chancel arch, taping stone slab, possibly a reset coffin cover, with inscription in Norman French, and in Lombardic characters, in memory of Julia, wife of Adam Francis d.1250. Incised alabastor slab, set against transeptal south chapel wall to Robert Barley d.1467 and his wife (in fact buried at All Saints, Derby). Hatchement and Charity boards by the south doorway.
Listing NGR: SK3441974698