CHURCH OF ST EDWARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1033368
Date first listed:
14-Dec-1998
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDWARD, PARK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDWARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033368 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 15:15:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDWARD, PARK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 33716 05425

Details

SE 30 NW BARNSLEY PARK ROAD, Kingstone

1014/3/10015 CHURCH OF ST EDWARD

II

Parish church, 1900-02. Designed by Goodwin S Packer of Southport, and paid for by Edward G Lancaster of Keresforth Hall. Nave with aisles and porches, crossing tower with transepts and chancel. Gothic Revival style. Coursed dressed stone with ashlar bands and dressings. Vellenhellie slates with ashlar coped gables, kneelers and finials. Chamfered plinth. West end has outer and inner buttresses flanking 5-light pointed arch window with reticulated tracery. Nave has 5 pairs of 2-light Y-tracery pointed arch clerestory windows with linked hoods and buttresses between. Aisles have 4 pairs of lancets with linked hoods and buttresses between. To west gabled porches on both sides with pointed triple arch doorways and double plank doors with ornate hinges. Transepts each have 2 tall lancet windows with Y-tracery and buttresses between. Crossing tower has 3 lancet bell openings to each face with small gabled buttresses between, and above an open arcaded parapet. Corner buttresses rise to form small corner towers with pyramidal ashlar roofs. Central pyramidal slate roof with leaded cap and cross finial. Chancel has single 2-light pointed arch side windows and a single 5-light east window with reticulated tracery, flanked by tall deep buttresses. INTERIOR has 5 bay pointed arched nave arcades with polished marble columns. Boarded roofs with exposed roof trusses. East wall lined in English alabaster with triple arched alabaster reredos made by Harry Hems & Sons of Exeter. Original wooden pews and choir stalls. Fine ornately carved octagonal alabaster pulpit supported on 4 polished marble columns, and similar octagonal alabaster font both carved by Norbury Patterson & Co. Good quality contemporary stained glass windows throughout. The foundation stone was laid on 5th October 1900, and the dedication took place on 13th November 1902.



Listing NGR: SE3371605425

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
471839
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/13120/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Jean Bickerstaffe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].