CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1033801
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033801 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 22:15:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
West Overton
National Grid Reference:
SU 13382 68135

Details

SU 16 NW WEST OVERTON CHURCH HILL 9/129 Church of St. Michael 27.2.58 II* Anglican parish church. 1877-8 by C.E. Ponting, tower 1883. Flint with squared sarsen banding, and Bath stone quoin and dressings. Nave with north aisle and south porch and west tower. Chancel with north transeptual organ chamber and vestry to south. Porch gabled, with diamond flint and stone patterning and iron terminal cross. Two light windows with quatrefoiled heads and one 3-light with panelled head. Chancel windows square headed and Geometric east window. Tower tall and slender, 4 stages with corner buttresses, a south-east stair and elongated perforated bell openings. Parapet with corner tourelles, and Lombardic table below. Aisle has four groups of triple quatrefoiled lights and a re-used C14 west window. Interior: Nave has a 4-bay north arcade, alternate quatrefoiled and round columns supporting twice chamfered arches. Four bay roof with hammer-beam trusses and arch braces to collars. Open rafters. Handsome tall tower arch of 3 orders and inner triple impost columns, the hoodmould with scrolled tail stops. Door on south side to rood loft, reset. Chancel arch on stilted corbels with verde antico shafts. Chancel Tractarian, the east wall tiled below a string with good gilded tiles and inscription. Double piscina on north. South window sill lowered as sedilia. Pointed boarded barrel roof. Tower has quadripartite vault and centre bell opening. Fittings: Font, under tower. C15 type with quatrefoil panels. Pulpit of oak, panelled. Brass sanctuary rail and C19 oak eagle lectern. Glass: some good C19 glass, 1875, 1885-8 and twelve apostles in aisle, of 1898. Monuments: In chancel: Marble wall tablet. C18. Panel with recessed pilasters and flat cornice with urns and central crest. Apron below. To Mortimer Powell, died 1728. In nave: Tablet, 1971 and 3 early C20 brasses. On west wall a bronze tablet 1960, to Lord Kennet of the Dene, and adjacent, a second bronze to his wife, Kathleen Scott, sculptor, died 1947. An ambitious church in a prominent position by an architect better known for restoration work. (Pevsner, Buildings of Engand - Wiltshire; Church guide)

Listing NGR: SU1338268135

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
311381
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of St Michael Church Guide
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Nov 2000
Reference: IOE01/02935/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr B.J.W. Heath. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].