Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033956.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:40:58.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 14788 48395


NETHERAVON - SU 14 SW 9/98 Church of All Saints 27.5.64 I Anglican parish and prebendal church. C11, C12, C13 and C15. Rendered flint with tiled roofs, lead to aisles. Nave with aisles, chancel with north vestry, and west tower. Entrance through west tower. A most impressive tall arch with roll moulded arrises on paired half-round imposts with carved capitals. Low side doors with monolithic lintels and blind tympana. This work all probably early C11, the lateral doors leading to former porticus, the scars of the walls of which are clearly seen. The west door was probably under a porch or small west forebuilding. Nave C13, with corbel table and lancet clerestory. Aisles have C15 three-light windows, the west walls being the east walls of the demolished porticus, with herringbone masonry. Chancel also C13, with simple side lancets and 3-light Geometric east window. Tower has side- alternate quoins and herringbone large flints, of 3 stages, the upper stage offset, and having C11-C12 lights and a billet corbel table. Two inset western buttresses disguise evidence of forebuilding. 1626 parapet, the pinnacles removed. Interior: West tower has high arch to nave, the imposts with 3 attached shafts leading through basic capitals to arris and intrados rolls. Nave arcade C13, of 4 bays, round columns, the eastern with four clustered shafts and trumpet capitals. Clerestory has wide embrasures. Walls plastered in C19. Also C19 steep pitched open roof with crown posts and arch braced collars. High door to former rood screen. Chancel arch C19 Romanesque, and C19 open timber roof to chancel, which also has trefoiled piscina, and aumbrey. South aisle extended east in C19, with C19 opening to chancel and external door, both well carved. North porch demolished after 1809. Fittings: Font, C19, octagonal. Pulpit: c1919 highly carved with nodding ogees. Monuments: Two wall monuments in chancel. North side: Marble tablet with shaped slate field over, with draped marble urn on casket. To Thomas Herne of Bloomsbury, died 1799. Panel added for niece, died 1909. South side: Similar tablet by T. King of Bath. Marble panel with pilasters. Draped urn on casket against grey slate field, to Daniel Herne, died 1814. Simple brass on south wall, to John Samwell, died 1669, and two late C19 brasses. C19 glass in east and west aisle windows. Netheravon was probably a location of a pre-conquest religious house. (Pevsner: Buildings of England, Wiltshire; Taylor & Taylor, Anglo- Saxon Architecture, 1965, 456-8.)

Listing NGR: SU1478848395


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
Taylor, H M, J , , Anglo Saxon Architecture, (1965), 456-8


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10437/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Rendle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].