BEMBRIDGE LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1034328

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1967

Statutory Address: BEMBRIDGE LODGE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BEMBRIDGE LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034328 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 10:14:39.

Location

Statutory Address: BEMBRIDGE LODGE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bembridge

National Grid Reference: SZ 64026 87705

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BEMBRIDGE SZ68NW HIGH STREET 1352-0/2/28 Bembridge Lodge 18/01/67 II House, c 1820-30. Built of coursed stone rubble with slate roof. Consists of central block of 2 storeys 3 bays flanked by pavilions of lower elevation. Central block has hipped roof flanked by tall brick chimneys. 3 casement windows to 1st floor. Ground floor has 2 triple casements with cambered head linings and diamond motif. Central doorcase, a C20 replacement, has triangular pediment, pilasters and round-headed doorcase with double doors. The original architectural model shows a curved pediment, pilasters rectangular fanlight and 8 panelled door. The end pavilions were originally of 1 storey but have been heightened probably in the later C19. 2 semi-dormers with casements to each pavilion and triple casement to ground floor with cambered head and diamond pattern in head linings. The rear elevation has cast iron balconettes. Interior has entrance hall with cornice with plastered ovolo moulding and heavy brackets. Curved staircase with stick balusters and mahogany handrail. Several 6 fielded panelaled doors with reeded architraves having lion's head paterae. 3 ground floor rooms have cornices with plumed friezes and wheat ear decorations. Living room has a black marble fireplace with circular paterae. Another room has a white marble fireplace with a reeded frieze, paterae and a panel with a female reclining figure and lion. 2 other rooms have connecting doors with square paterae to the architraves and each end has a white marble fireplace with a panel showing the Goddess Ceres with a windmill, identical except that the panels are reversed. At one time the house was known as Fairoak Pavilion. At the time of survey the owner possessed the original architectural model of the house.

Listing NGR: SZ6402687705

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 310059

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing