This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BOURTON HALL AND ATTACHED FORMER CATHOLIC CHAPEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BOURTON HALL AND ATTACHED FORMER CATHOLIC CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1034968

Location

BOURTON HALL AND ATTACHED FORMER CATHOLIC CHAPEL, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Rugby

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bourton and Draycote

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Jul-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 308664

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOURTON AND DRAYCOTE MAIN STREET SP47SW (West side) Bourton 1/23 Bourton Hall and attached former Catholic Chapel II Country house and attached former Catholic chapel of St. Mary and St. Joseph. House said to be dated 1791. Built for John Shuckburgh. Additions to north and west sides, c.1880 for Richard Shuckburgh. Remodelled and entrance range, quadrant link and chapel added 1906-1908 by Harold A. Peto for James Shaw. Restored 1980-1981. C18 range and late C19 additions of sandstone ashlar. Entrance range and rear additions of roughcast brick with sandstone dressings. Quadrant of timber with ashlar plinth. Slate hipped roofs; stone end stacks have cornices. Complex double-depth plan with service wings to rear. Remodelled in early C18 style. Garden front to south, originally entrance front, of 3 storeys with 2-storey addition on left; 4 bays. Originally symmetrical. Late C18 sill courses and string course to ground and first floors, doorway and architraves to central bay, and moulded cornice. Tripartite Roman Doric doorway has unfluted half-columns and pilasters, and projecting central pediment. C20 double-leaf glazed door with fanlight in moulded stone architrave with keystone, and 4-pane sashes. 2-light casement above in pedimented Ionic aedicule with balustrade below. 2 large 3-storey canted bays have window surrounds of 1906. Ground floor has moulded eared architraves with pulvinated frieze and modillion cornice. First floor has moulded architraves with alternating pediments. Second floor has moulded architraves throughout. Addition has 3-bay Italian Rennaissance style loggia of Ionic columns and pilasters. String course. Venetian window above has French window with balustraded balcony. Plain parapet. Vest entrance front of 2 storeys and attic; 9-window range. Pedimented 3-bay centre. Large painted porch of Ionic columns and half-columns. Double-leaf fielded 6-panelled doors with fanlight in moulded stone architrave with keystone. Sashes in moulded stone architraves, with pediments to ground floor and cornices above. Pediment has oculus with carved stone wreath and palm leaves. Left range has 8-pane sashes above concave quadrant gallery. Right range has string course. Tripartite window with cornice; Venetian window above. Right corner has 2-bay return side of loggia. Plain parapet. East front is a 3-storey, 5-bay range with a 2-storey canted addition of c.1880 to right. Detailing similar to south front. Single-storey projection to third and fourth bays has balustrade. Canted range. has central French window. Hipped roof has deep eaves. Single-storey 3-bay roughcast range to right has modillion cornice. Large central c20 French window. Octagonal glazed cupola has lead roof. Interior: large entrance hall opening to large open well staircase of Ashburnham House type. Several rooms have early c18 style plasterwork ceilings of c.1906. Doorway on first floor has Italian Renaissance style ornamental pilasters, entablature with winged heads and segmental panel, probably imported from elsewhere. Chapel and gallery in Italian Renaissance style. 2-storey, 5-bay gallery has moulded sill course. Composite giant pilaster to right. Pilasters between each bay to ground floor, and Tuscan half-columns above. 2-light casements, on first floor round-arched with blind balustrading below, have bullion glazing. Moulded entablature. Chapel at right angles to house. Dated 1908. Limestone ashlar with moulded plinth. Entablature and modillion cornice. One storey; 3 bays. Pedimented front has ornamented giant composite angle pilasters. Datestone in right corner has architects name. Portal of white marble has ornamented composite pilasters, moulded entablature with griffons holding a shield and semi-circular pediment with antefixae and acroterion. Typanum has relief copy of Raphael's Sposalizio, the marriage of Saints Mary and Joseph. Panelled door. Small windows to left and right have elaborately moulded architraves with iron grilles. Moulded wheel window above entrance. Pediments to front and rear have a small oculus. Pedimented bellcote has moulded round arch. Left return side has composite angle pilasters, the left with sunk panels, the right ornamented. Round arched 2-light windows at first floor level have moulded arch and capitals, detached column, arched lights with half and quarter columns, and tracery. Single-storey projecting pedimented range. Blind front. Irregular left return side has panelled door in moulded architrave, and moulded 2-light mullioned window. Right return side has 2-light straight-headed window recessed behind paired round-arched openings. Interior now divided horizontally. Upper part has walls lined with white marble. Deep coffered part-gilded wooden ceiling. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.216-127; Ingersoll Engineers: Bourton Hall, A Short History).

Listing NGR: SP4371870458

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ingersoll Engineers, , Bourton Hall A Short Histrory
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 216

National Grid Reference: SP 43718 70458

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034968 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 08:50:15.

End of official listing