Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of STONELEIGH ABBEY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035149.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:09:59.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Warwick (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:


This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 5 July 2017.


STONELEIGH Stoneleigh Abbey


GV I Present sandstone ashlar house built on four sides of a central open space roughly coincident with cloister garth of Cisterian Abbey founded in 1155. It embodies some remains of the abbey, several C12 arched doorways and portions of the walls. Also an early C14 undercroft, probably to the dormitory at the south end of the east wing. This is 70' x 28' with a central row of octagonal columns supporting quadrapartite vaulting.

Northern wing (Long Gallery) and east wing date from 1570s but incorporate south transept and south aisle of the monastic buildings. Northern wing largely reconstructed (by Charles S Smith of Warwick in early C19) when Gothic porch built in 1836. East wing of three storeys and attic is a succession of nine gables. Narrow south wing built in 1770. West wing designed by Francis Smith of Warwick between 1714-1726. Rectangle 170' x 45'. The west facade consists of a lower heavily rusticated ground storey, a main floor approached by an exterior staircase, and two upper storeys surmounted by a heavy projecting cornice and balustrade. Each of the two upper storeys has 15 windows; five in the central slightly projecting section; three in each of the recessed sections, and two in each of the slightly projecting flanking sections. Giant fluted Ionic angle pilasters. On the main floor at the head of the staircase is a doorway enriched by a curved pediment and fluted pilasters. On this floor the windows have curved pediments, and on the floor above triangular pediments, and on the top floor no pediments. All windows are sashes with glazing bars and are in moulded architraves with keyblocks.

Interior of west wing contains a range of five State Apartments, a central entrance hall or saloon, flanked by two drawing rooms to north, and by a dining room and sitting room on south. Chapel immediately behind the southern two rooms. Saloon of mid C18 date with very rich stucco work and screens of scagliola columns which divide room into 1 - 3 - 1 bays. Immediately behind saloon is early C18 staircase by Thomas Eboral of Warwick and decorated wall panels and ceiling of c.1764 by Robert Moore of Warwick. Chapel decorated in 1744 with woodwork by George Eboral and Benjamin King, stucco work by John Wright.

Stoneleigh was the seat of the Leigh family, maternal relatives of Jane Austen, who is known to have visited the Abbey and found inspiration for her work.

Listing NGR: SP3184571262

This listing was enhanced in 2017 to mark the bicentenary of Jane Austen's death.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 42 Warwickshire,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/14672/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr John Airlie Hunter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].