CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035653.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:54:25.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
- Burton Dassett
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 39848 51441
8/8 Church of All Saints
Church. C12 origins. Chancel and transepts early C13; east end of chancel and aisles late C13. Tower and porch early C14. Clerestory early C15. Restored 1888-1889 and 1936-1939. Regular coursed ironstone and squared coursed rubble. Some splayed plinths. Low-pitched lead roofs have parapets and gable parapets with moulded cornices and copings. Aisled cruciform plan with west tower and north porch. 3-bay chancel, 4-bay nave, 3-bay aisles. Chancel has low diagonal buttresses and east plinth. Largely restored 4-light east window has intersecting tracery. Chancel has south doorway partly below ground level. Ogee-arched window above. Hood moulds throughout. Sill course. 2-liqht windows: north-east and south-east have restored Y-tracery; north-west and south-west have reticulated tracery of c.1340, with south-west low side window below to south-west. North transept has restored C14 twin east lancets, 4-light north window has lancets and circular opening. 2-light square-headed west clerestory window. Porch has east and west angle buttresses. Moulded and chamfered ogee doorway with ballflower and head stops. Double-leaf plank doors. 2-light square-headed openings with blind tracery. Reset Romanesque doorway inside has square and roll-moulded orders and scalloped west capital: nook-shafts and east capital missing. Ancient oak door with strap hinges and draw-bar sockets. North aisle has low angle buttresses. Lancets, stepped to north-east, and twin to north-west and west have continuous hood moulds. Clerestory of 5 square-headed 2-light windows, with tracery to north; plain south windows at lower level. South transept has C15 three-light windows. Square headed east window and moulded segmental pointed south window nave. Perpendicular tracery. South aisle has central reset Romanesque doorway, similar to north aisle, with nook-shafts and scalloped capitals. Two 3-light Perpendicular windows. Two C13 west lancets. Tower of 3 stages with plain string courses. Diagonal buttresses, C15 west doorway, much eroded, of 2 orders. 2-light window above has reticulated tracery. 2-light square-headed bell openings. Parapet with string course and gargoyles to all except east side. Square north-east stair turret has blind quatrefoil above parapet. South east buttress, Interior rises steeply from west to east in 7 stages. Plastered walls. Chancel has late C13 piscina. Chamfered segmental-arched sedilia. Renewed and restored C15 Perpendicular roofs. Chancel arch of c.1200 of 3 chamfered and moulded orders has continuous central order without imposts. Inner and outer orders have shafts with moulded bases and shaft rings; inner north shaft and lower parts of south shaft missing. Varied scalloped capitals to south and north-east; stiff-leaf capitals to north. Blocked arched rood-loft entrance to left. Arches of 2 chamfered orders throughout. Mid/late C13 north arcade has octagonal piers and responds with round capitals and abaci carved, "exceptionally for Warwickshire" (V.C.H.), with foliage trails, animals and monsters. Hood moulds. Slightly narrower east bay. South arcade has 3 bays similar to north, but capitals left uncarved. Narrow east bay of c.1200, of 2 orders. 6-bay roof has 2 moulded tie beans, curved braces and wall posts, and some carved corbels. North transept has ancient stone altar slab on later stonework, and flanking stone benches, C13 ogee piscina. Arched aumbry in north wall. Late C13 segmental pointed tomb recess with attached shafts. 2-bay roof, possibly C17 has chamfered tie beam. Arch to aisle has triple shafts to south and shaft with moulded capital to north. Aisle has lean-to roof with moulded timbers, braces with traceried spandrels, and head corbels. South transept has c18/C19 roof. Arch to aisle has inner shafts and moulded capitals. Aisle has C13 piscina. C16/C17 roof has moulded tie beams and ogee brackets. Wall paintings: remains of C13 paintings on north and south nave walls. Late C14 Virgin, St. John and angels above chancel arch. Remains of early C17 Creed and text cartouches on north and south walls. Fittings: C14 and other medieval tiles. Communion table 1618. C19 oil lamps, converted to electricity. Monuments: north transept: John Temple 1603. Wall monument with columns and painted coats of arms. Late C16 chest tomb. South transept: John Swain 1658 and wife 1677. Chest tomb with corner scrolls. C17 and C18 floor slabs and wall monuments. The church is large, fine and remarkably unaltered. (Frances O'Shaughnessy: The Story of Burton Dassett Church; V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, pp.72-76; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.22).
Listing NGR: SP3984651442
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 72-76
O'Shaughnessy, F, The Story of Burton Dassett Church
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 22
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing