SPROUGHTON MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1036922
Date first listed:
06-Mar-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
29-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
SPROUGHTON MANOR

Map

Ordnance survey map of SPROUGHTON MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1036922 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 20:07:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
SPROUGHTON MANOR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Sproughton
National Grid Reference:
TM 12786 45616

Details

TM 1245 SPROUGHTON 5/34 Sproughton Manor 6.3.72 II House, 1863 by W E Nesfield for Col Henry Phillipps. Grey brick, grey and yellow stone dressings, tile and slate roofs. Asymmetrical facade. 3 bays. 2 and 2½ storeys. Left hand bay. 2li storeys part beneath half-hipped gable. 1st floor brick band. Stepped diagonal buttress to left hand return. Mansard porch of fish scale slate on timber brackets on yellow stone corbels. Similar stone doorway With chamfered jambs and cambered corbels with round carved motif. 2-leeved door of 8 sunk panels. One ground floor and 2 1st floor timber casements of one and two lights, beneath semicircular brick arches, the tympana of the left hand windows in chequer-work grey brick, that above the right hand window in herringbone, and all picked out in red mortar. 3 light attic window beneath flat head. Brick stack with raised moulded brick panels. Iron finial to gables, crested ridge tiles, crest of HP set in wall to left of door. Rainwater head dated 1863. 2 storey gabled central bay comprising a full-height hall, ground floor bow window with cross casements and parapet of pierced brickwork forming angular lozenges. One 1st floor arched headed cross-window. Gable ball finial. Right hand bay. 3 6-light cross casements to ground floor, beneath similar arched heads with the tympana in herringbone brickwork. 2 similar 1st floor windows. Rear range stack with brick panels and moulded cap. Garden front. Symmetrical, 3 bays, that to centre set back, the forward bays beneath mansard roofs. 3 storeys. The outer bays having ground floor timber casements with glazed margins and overlights, the tympana with herringbone brick- work. 2 similarly treated 1st floor casements, 2 3-light 2nd floor casements having flat arches. Central bay. 2-leaved French window beneath overlight with vertical glazing bars, and behind C20 glazed verandah. 2 1st floor casements beneath one arch with similar tympanum to 2nd floor window having flat arches. Rear wall. Arms to Henry Phillipps and Lucy Birch Phillipps.

Listing NGR: TM1278645616

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
277362
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16385/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T. P. C. Bramer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].