This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1037582

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Forest Heath

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Icklingham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 275792

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 77 SE 5/50 ICKLINGHAM THE STREET Church of St. James

7.5.54

GV II* Church, medieval, restored 1864. The tower rebuilt after collapse early C19. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north porch and west tower. Flint rubble with limestone dressings; the north aisle and parapets refaced C19 in flushed flint. Parapets to nave, aisles and tower; parapet-gables throughout. Plaintiled roofs to chancel and porch; other roofs flat, leaded. The chancel is of c.1300, with 2-light south windows, restored priest's doorway and a 3- light west window with intersecting tracery and internal shafts. Late C14 south doorway and later north doorway; both have original doors. Aisle and clerestory window of 2 lights, all of various mid and late C14 designs, some perhaps reset. Large mask gargoyles to both aisles. North porch added, and north chancel window inserted later C15. 4-bay nave arcade of c.1400, with moulded pilasters; the chancel arch is similar, and to its right is an image pedestal. In the north aisle is an image niche and an aumbry; in the south aisle is a piscina, and by the south doorway a damaged stoup. The C15 rood- loft stairs and a doorway survive, and a number of tracery panels taken from the screen are fixed to C19 choirstalls. Flat nave roof with moulded cambered tie-beams and purlins, perhaps rebuilt c.1600. Chancel roof canted and boarded, with C15 moulded cornice and bosses with floral and mask motifs. A mediaeval octafoil bowl is reused in the C19 chancel piscina. Octagonal C15 limestone font with quatrefoil panel led bowl and traceried stem, recut or renewed C19. In the south aisle is a marble wall tablet with painted achievement to John Talbot, d.1689, and his daughter Isabella, d.1704. 2 medieval floor slabs in the chancel probably once contained brasses.

Listing NGR: TL7704873049

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 77048 73049

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1037582 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2018 at 01:22:56.

End of official listing