CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1037585
Date first listed:
07-May-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1037585.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 21:51:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Forest Heath (District Authority)
Parish:
Worlington
National Grid Reference:
TL 69128 73856

Details

TL 67 SE 3/57

WORLINGTON CHURCH LANE Church of All Saints

7.5.54

I Church. Medieval. Nave, chancel, west tower, south aisle and vestry, south porch. Flint rubble with limestone dressings.(most of the north wall is plastered). Plaintiled roofs (vestry, aisle and tower roofs are flat). In the north chancel wall is a C13 lancet. North and south doorways, and south priest's doorway (restored) later C13. Mid C14 tower, the lowest stage of ashlar, with moulded west doorway; above it is a traceried west window with flanking image niches. Small trefoiled belfry windows. A ringing chamber quatrefoil window has a C13 coffin slab for a lintel, On the south face of the tower is a worn C18 tablet with enriched border. South nave arcade has octagonal piers with moulded capitals of early C14 type, below them are trefoil-headed arches carved on each face; many have medieval graffiti. 3- light early C14 east window with intersecting tracery; a later C14 low-side window in the south wall. The aisle was raised, given square-headed 2-light windows with mask corbels, and re-roofed C15. A vestry incorporated at west end has the original doorway and door; on the jamb is the signature of Bagot (priest in 1447); a slit window high up the west wall may indicate a former upper chamber. Nave roof also raised C15; unmoulded queen-post trusses with 6 posts each, the innermost pair being arch-braced to the principals; 2 secondary hammerbeam trusses in each bay (restored 1926). Clerestory windows and large traceried windows in north wall. A moulded rood-beam, doorway and loft-stairs survive at the chancel arch (a will of 1475 contributes to cost of painting loft). Sanctus bell-cote at east nave gable (the bell now at Moyses Hall Museum, Bury St. Edmunds); under the south eaves nearby is an image niche. The C14 or C15 porch was almost rebuilt C18 in gault brick; it encloses another good C14 image niche. Chancel roof C15, canted and plastered, with crenellated cornice. C13 limestone font, the square bowl has recessed pilasters at the corners and 5 matching supporting shafts. Set of 7 C14 pews in aisle; 4 others in nave and 2 in chancel. Octagonal C17 pulpit with C18 steps and handrail. Fragments of 3 wall paintings on north side of nave, one (St. Christopher) is covered by a monument. Windows in chancel; east aisle and north nave wall have good, but jumbled, medieval glass. Several early C19 marble wall monuments on the north nave wall, and a brass recording benefaction of John Mortlock (1620). A marble monument in the chancel to Revd. John Sankey, 1738. In the nave are 8 marble floor slabs, mainly of C18; one of 1697.

Listing NGR: TL6912873856

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
275799
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07247/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Egerton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].