Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1038370

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038370 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 09:46:41.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: East Staffordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Kingstone

National Grid Reference: SK 06047 29485


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



10/122 Church of St. John 12/1/66


Parish Church. 1860-61. By David Brandon; south aisle by G.E. Street. Rock faced stone with ashlar dressings; clay tile roof with coped verges. 5-bay nave with north porch, 2 bay chancel with canted east end, north- east tower with angle buttresses, south-east vestry. Nave: Bay divisions marked by buttresses; windows of 2 cusped pointed lights and central colonette mullion with naturalistic foliated capital, under plate traceried quatrefoil and pointed hood mould terminating in naturalistic foliage; West window has 2 trefoil-headed lights and central colonette mullion supporting Y-tracery incorporating cusped circles, roll and fillet moulded hood terminating in heads of a King and Queen; quatrefoiled light to gable above gabled timber framed porch to pointed door with roll and fillet moulded hood. South aisle: Bay divisions marked by buttresses; single or paired lancet windows. S.E. Vestry: Segmental pointed door to west, Caernarvon arch window to east. Chancel: Buttress to each angle; pointed windows of 2 cusped pointed lights with sexfoil over. N.E. Tower: 3 stages, lower stage has windows of 2 cusped pointed lights with plate traceried trefoil over, second stage has simple straight headed loops, belfry stage has 2 cusped lancets to each side. Interior: Nave arcade of slim cylindrical columns with moulded bases and capitals and double chamfered pointed arches; pointed chancel arch has 3 orders of roll and fillet moulding and stiff leaf capitals to cylindrical columns; pointed and chamfered tower arch; nave roof with arch-braced scissor trusses, the braces springing from stone corbels carved with naturalistic foliage; aisle roof has arch springing from corbels to support a single purlin; scissor braced chancel roof, the canted end has roll and fillet moulded braces springing from foliated corbels. Fittings: Stone font with quadrilobe shaft and base to octagonal bowl having serated edges to circular panels containing foliage; octagonal stone pulpit has trefoil arched side panels; altar rail of twisted wrought iron standards with scrolled brackets and attached leaf decoration to wooden rail; oak chest dated 1608. B.O.E. p.163.

Listing NGR: SK0604729485


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 273829

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 163

End of official listing