ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, HAWKESYARD PRIORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1038764

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1988

Statutory Address: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, HAWKESYARD PRIORY, ARMITAGE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, HAWKESYARD PRIORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038764 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 18:00:58.

Location

Statutory Address: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, HAWKESYARD PRIORY, ARMITAGE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield (District Authority)

Parish: Armitage with Handsacre

National Grid Reference: SK 06638 16257

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ARMITAGE WITH HANDSACRE C.P. ARMITAGE LANE SK Ol NE 6/3 Roman Catholic Church of St. Thomas,Hawkes- yard Priory

GV II

Priory Church. Circa 1900 to designs by E. Goldie. Red brick (English bond) with ashlar dressings; roof hidden behind a plain parapet. 9- bay nave and chancel in one with north-west and south-west chapels and with porch and corner buttresses with crocketed pinnacles. The church encloses the south side of the quadrangle around which the conventual buildings were erected. Doorway of 3 moulded orders and 4-centered arch. East window of 7 cinquefoil-headed lights and panel tracery beneath a Tudor arch with hood mould terminating in carved angels bearing shields. At the apex of the east gable is a canopied niche containing a statue. Pointed north and south windows of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with panel tracery and returned hood moulds. South porch with diagonal buttresses and wide Tudor-arch entrance. Cast iron rainwater heads with crenellations. Interior. Hammer beam roof with carved angels attached to the soffits of the hammerbeams over the chancel. Nearly full height stone reredos with a multitude of canopied niches containing statues. Full set of stalls with elaborately carved backs. Fan vaulted south chapel. Organ case of 1700-1 from Eton College carved with cherubs. Around the walls of the nave a series of stone tablets in the style of Eric Gill. Conventual buildings to the north not of special interest. B.o.E. p. 62.

Listing NGR: SK0663816257

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 272849

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 62

End of official listing