CROXALL HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1038822

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: CROXALL HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CROXALL HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038822 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 07:53:42.

Location

Statutory Address: CROXALL HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield (District Authority)

Parish: Edingale

National Grid Reference: SK 19670 13750

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 11 SE EDINGALE C.P. CROXALL

1/29 Croxall Hall and attached 9.2.53 garden wall (formerly listed as Croxall Hall and dovecote) GV II*

Large house. Late C16, restored and enlarged in 1868 by Joseph Potter of Lichfield. Red brick (English bond) with sandstone ashlar dressings; plain tile roofs with coped verges on shaped kneelers; brick end stacks and ridge stacks, some with C16 octagonal shafts. Formerly a U-shaped house with hall range of 2 parallel blocks aligned east-west facing north and wings to the east and west enclosing 3 sides of a northern courtyard, the west wing was destroyed by fire in 1942. Service extensions of 1868 are attached to the north-east corner of the east wing and enclose 3 sides of a northern courtyard. The C16 garden wall is attached to these buildings and extends northwards for approximately 150 yards. The C16 details are entirely Gothic. Main house: north front: hall range to the right, east wing at right angles to e left. Hall range: 2 storeys on coped plinth; 1:1:1 bays, central gabled 2 storey porch and central 4-centred arch door with ogee and hollow chamfer moulding and a returned hood mould; 2 shields above, to left and right, first floor window of 4 transomed lights with chamfered mullions and transom and returned hood mould, blind quatrefoil in the gable. To each side of the porch are 2 ground floor windows of 3 lights and one first floor window of 5-lights, all windows have hollow chamfered mullions and transoms, the ground floor windows have returned hood moulds. East wing: 2 storeys; 1:1:1 bays, central gabled break. Transomed windows of 5 lights to ground floor left and of 3 lights to first floor left and right, the 2 latter are partly within small gables and have blind shields over. Mullioned windows of 2 lights to ground floor , of 3 lights to ground floor right and first floor centre and of 5 lights to ground floor right of centre. Windows to centre and to ground floor left have returned hood moulds, those to first floor left and right have straight hood moulds. South front: 2 storeys on coped plinth with first floor and eaves bands; 2:1:2 bays, central gabled break dominated by a 2-storey bay window with crenellated parapet. The lights of the ground floor windows are in a rhythm of 5:2:6:2:5, those of the first floor windows 3:2:6:2:3, there is an extra single light first floor window to the centre of the right-hand side. Corner stack to the right with C19 star shaped shafts. Service courtyard: single-storey central range flanked by projecting wings to left and right. Central range: 1:1:1 bays, central gabled break. Transomed windows of 4 lights to centre and of 3 lights to the right, 2-light mullioned window and square head door to the left. Left hand range: 4-light transomed window to right of centre, segmental head door to left, square head door to right, block door to left of centre. Right hand range: 4-centred arch door to the left; the range is terminated to the right by an octagonal building with mullioned windows and hipped roof surmounted by a weather vane. Attached to the north side of this building is a C16 brick garden wall with stone coping, incorporating a doorway to the south with Tudor arch, sunken spandrels, double hollow chamfered surround and returned hood mould; towards the centre is a garden gateway flanked by square piers with moulded caps and ball finials. Interior: C16 plaster ceiling in the hall range; square panels with rounded lobes, some containing pendants, others a central rose, the border decorated with foliage and fruit. In the same room 2 C19 stone fireplaces.

Listing NGR: SK1967013750

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 272781

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing