MOSELEY OLD HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1039208
Date first listed:
16-May-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
04-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
MOSELEY OLD HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATE, MOSELEY OLD HALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MOSELEY OLD HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1039208 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jun-2019 at 00:51:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
MOSELEY OLD HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATE, MOSELEY OLD HALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
South Staffordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Featherstone
National Grid Reference:
SJ 93169 04415

Details

In the entry for:-

SJ 90 SW FEATHERSTONE C.P. BROOKHOUSE LANE(north west side)

6/4 Moseley Old Hall and attached garden walls, gatepiers and gate (formerly listed a Moseley Old Hall).

16.5.53 II

the entry shall be amended to read:-

SJ 90 SW FEATHERSTONE C.P. MOSELEY OLD HALL LANE(north west side

6/4 Moseley Old Hall and attached garden walls, gatepiers and gate (formerly listed as Moseley Old Hall).

16.5.53 II

------------------------------------

SJ 90 SW FEATHERSTONE C.P. BROOKHOUSE LANE (north west side)

6/4 Moseley Old Hall and att- ached garden walls, gate piers and gate (formerly 16.5.53 listed as Moseley Old Hall).

GV II*

House and attached garden walls, gate piers and gate. Late C16 timber framed core encased in brown brick with blue brick dressings circa 1870; plain tile roof; brick stacks with star shaped shafts. H-plan; hall range aligned north- south facing east with projecting porch; parlour wing to the south, and service wing to the north; minor extension to the north-east corner of the north wing. 2 storeys and attic; irregular multi gabled 6 window front with 2 storey extension bay to the right. Casements with segmental heads and sill bands. Full height porch towards right hand end of the slightly recessed hall range, with 4-centred outer arch and inside, a 3-centred arch door. Brick walls enclose a front garden; in the centre of each of the 3 sides is a pair of square gate piers; those to the south and east have C17 stone caps. Interior. Large open fireplace in the south-east corner of the Entrance Hall, and open- well staircase of circa 1700 to the west with crossed string, panelled newels, turned balusters, ramped handrail and oak dado with bolection moulded panels. The Parlour occupied the ground floor of the south wing. It retains early C17 wall panelling with a simple patterned frieze, and a spine beam with wide chamfers. The King's Room. On the first floor of the service wing. Exposed timber framing, low oak wall panelling and bolection moulded wooden fireplace surround. In the north-east corner of the room a camouflaged and plaster door opens to an original oak door with ogee arch, behind which is a cupboard in the space between the chimney stack and the north wall. Beneath the floor boards of this cupboard is a hiding place believed to have been used by King Charles II after his defeat at Worcester in 1651. Whitgreave's Room. Above the hall range. Exposed square panel timber framing in one wall, 2 walls are covered in early C17 oak panelling which incorporates cupboard doors, one on each side of the fireplace. Intersecting cross and spine beams with wide chamfers. A door in the west wall opens to a small room within the porch, formerly used by Thomas Whitgreave as a study. Chapel. In the attic of the parlour wing. Plastered walls with trompe l'oeil decorative panelling. Vaulted and painted plaster ceiling. In the other attics there is a good deal of exposed C16 timber framing. Moseley Old Hall contains several C16/17 panelled doors. Henry Pitt purchased the estate in 1583; he was almost certainly the builder of Moseley Old Hall, for in 1600 the house was referred to as 'Mr Pitt's new Hall at Moseley'. His daughter Alice inherited the house on his death in 1602 and subsequently married Thomas Whitgreave. Alice and her son, also Thomas, gave sanctuary to King Charles II after his defeat at Worcester; he arrived from Boscobel House (q.v. Boscobel C.P., District of Bridgnorth, Shropshire) in the early morning of 8th September 1651 and left for France on the night of the 9th. Moseley Old Hall is owned by The National Trust. The National Trust, Moseley Old Hall (1986).

Listing NGR: SJ9316904415

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
271772
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Moseley Old Hall, (1986)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].