SHIRE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1039388

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1951

Statutory Address: SHIRE HALL, COMMON PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHIRE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1039388 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 09:01:24.

Location

Statutory Address: SHIRE HALL, COMMON PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Walsingham

National Grid Reference: TF 93449 36835

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5320 LITTLE WALSINGHAM COMMON PLACE (South Side)

Shire Hall TF 9336 NW 1/38 30.11.51.

II* GV

2. C15 origin; 2 storeys, floor removed late C18 to provide chamber for court. Flint with later brick parapet and window and door dressings. Steep pantile roof with gabled ends. Two storeys. First floor 3 large sashes with glazing bars. Ground floor 3 flush-panel doors in segmental-headed openings and on right main entrance with large pediment on shaped brackets and double doors with flush panels and moulded doorcase. Brick chimney stack at each end. Remains of C15 stone window frames at rear with ogee or 4-centred arch lights. Interior: court chamber complete with late C18/early C19 court fittings including chairman's seat, box benches. Royal Arms of George III dated 1778, panelling, and public gallery at west end under which is prisoners' lock-up containing benches and urinal. Quarter Sessions were held here until 1861.

Listing NGR: TF9344936835

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 223118

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing