CHANTRY CHAPEL OF ALL SOULS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1040359
Date first listed:
23-Sep-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
CHANTRY CHAPEL OF ALL SOULS, MARKET SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHANTRY CHAPEL OF ALL SOULS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040359 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:10:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHANTRY CHAPEL OF ALL SOULS, MARKET SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
East Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Higham Ferrers
National Grid Reference:
SP 96103 68527

Details

SP9668NW 18/53 23/09/50

HIGHAM FERRERS MARKET SQUARE

(East side) Chantry Chapel of All Souls (Formerly listed as All Souls Chantry)

GI School,now chantry chapel.Probably re-founded as a school and built early C15 for Archbishop Henry Chichele.Restored C20.Limestone ashlar with lead roof. Single-unit plan. Single storey.South elevation of three-window range of three-light windows with cusping and four-centred arch heads.Small doorways below windows to left and right. Both have four-centred arch heads, that to left has leaf decoration in the spandrels. Three-stage buttresses at corners and between windows terminate as crocketted pinnacles with panel tracery decoration.Moulded cornice with corbels representing leaves and flowers.Open castellated parapet, with verticals and diagonals decorated with cusping.Shallow gabled roof. Five-light east window with panel tracery and four-centred arch head.Open castellated parapet similar to south elevation has canopied niche with statue and pinnacle at apex.North elevation is similar without doorways.West elevation is similar to east with a four-light square-head window below main east window.Parapet with niche is all similar.Interior: has staircase to former rood loft on first floor,with two doorways with four-centred arch head.Original moulded roof beams restored C20 when a steeper pitched roof was removed and original pitch restored. Plank door set in panelled lobby has date above 1630.C20 stained glass roundels in west window.Tablet in lobby commemorates restoration by J. White Esq., 1942.Used as a Grammar School from 1542-1906.Restored by Temple Moore early C20.Re-dedicated as a chantry chapel in 1942.

Listing NGR: SP9610368527

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
232353
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/13378/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].