CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1040713
Date first listed:
28-May-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040713.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2020 at 12:11:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Wellingborough (District Authority)
Parish:
Irchester
National Grid Reference:
SP 92564 66010

Details

IRCHESTER HIGH STREET SP96NW (West side) 5/191 Church of St. Katherine 28/05/54

GV I

Church. Late C12, C13 and C14. Regular coursed limestone with ironstone and ashlar dressings, tower is banded limestone and ironstone ashlar; lead roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, south porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel of 3-window range with one 2-light Perpendicular window to far right and two 3-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred heads and carved label stops. South door between windows has trefoil head and carved label stops. All openings restored C19. Steep gabled roof with ashlar, cornice, gable parapets and finial. 5-light Perpendicular east window has 4-centred head and continuous shaft-surround. Blank north elevation to chancel. South aisle of 4 bays with 2-window range to right of C14 three-light square-headed windows with relieving arches above. Shallow gabled roof has castellated ashlar parapet and finial. 4-light Perpendicular east window and 2-light west window. C14 porch to left of centre has moulded outer arch flanked by pinnacles with niche above. 4-light square-headed side windows with transoms. Shallow gabled roof with castellated ashlar parapet, finial and 2 gargoyles. North elevation of north aisle and north chapel of 5-window range of C14 three-light square-headed windows. North door to right has shafts and roll mouldings. Shallow gabled roof has plain ashlar parapet with gargoyles. Similar 3-light west window and 4-light east window which has high sill and evidence of blocked openings below. Nave clerestory of 4-window range of 2-light windows with 4-centred heads. Decorated west tower of 3 stages with 2 half stages at base. 3-stage angle buttresses to lower 2 stages. West door has moulded surround, 2-light window above has carved label stops. Pairs of 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face of third stage. Corbel table with ashlar spire above having low broaches. 3 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: 4-bay nave arcade of double hollow-chamfered arches with octagonal piers. Late C12 responds at west end with leaf crockets in the capitals. Triple-chamfered chancel and tower arches. Chamfered and moulded arch from chancel to north chapel has polygonal cluster responds. C19 roof structures. Double piscina with trefoil heads in chancel has 2 square-headed openings adjacent. Oven for altar bread in north wall. Similar single piscina in south aisle. Tomb recess in north aisle. C13 octagonal font. Rood screen retains original base, the upper part is restored. Parclose screen to south chapel has linenfold panelling to base. C17 pulpit decorated with arcades and pairs of balusters at the corners. Bench ends have some original traceried panels. Jacobean bread cupboard with open balusters in north aisle. Parish chest in chancel. Monuments: brass to John Glynton died 1510 and wife, north aisle, south wall, female figure only remains. Thomas Jenison died 1681, double inscription flanked by Corinthian columns with pediment over. North wall of chancel, three C17 black floor tablets to Jenison family. Various early C19 marble tablets. Stained glass: fragments of medieval glass in 2 south aisle and one south chancel windows. Late C19 east window by Mayer and Co., and early C20 window in north aisle. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.265).

Listing NGR: SP9256466010

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
233473
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 265

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00600/34
Rights: Copyright IoE A G Lucas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].