Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041071.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:54:45.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 70602 54791


GAYTON SP75SW 8/42 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 17/05/60


Church. C14 and C15, with older origins. Restored, vestry and organ chamber added and chancel rebuilt 1883 by M.H. Holding; tower restored 1910. Coursed limestone rubble and coursed squared ironstone; lead roofs. Chancel, north chancel chapel, south vestry and organ chamber, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, west tower. East window has C19 5-light window with curvilinear tracery. Chancel chapel to north and vestry and organ chamber to south continue aisles and flank chancel. Both have C19 3-light Decorated style east windows. Chapel has 2-light Decorated windows to north. Vestry and organ chamber have similar C19 windows to south and chamfered priest's door. Nave has 4-bay clerestory of 2-light windows with 4-centred heads, mostly renewed C20. North aisle has 3-light Decorated west window with sexfoil to head of central light and trefoils to heads of flanking lights. Double-roll-moulded north door. A 2-light Decorated window to east of door with sexfoil head and ogee-headed lights and 3-light window further east with ogee-headed lights, quatrefoils and mouchettes to head. Offset buttress between aisle and chapel has stone-roofed projection in angle to east and blocked roll-moulded door to west partly in aisle wall, cut back at this point to give access with chamfered relieving arch above recess. South aisle has 2- and 3-light windows, all renewed C19. C13 south door with pairs of shafts, moulded capitals and many-moulded arch in porch rebuilt C19. 3-stage west tower has west door with plain jambs and triangular heady small lancet window above. Similar window to south higher up, 2-light windows to middle stage with plate tracery and 2-light paired bell-chamber openings. Battlemented parapet and corner pinnacles. Plain stone-coped parapets to rest of church. Hood moulds to all windows. Interior: chancel has reredos with C16 linenfold panelling, probably re-used, and piscina with cusped and chamfered ogee-arched head. C19 two-bay arcade to vestry and organ chamber and arch to north chancel chapel. Double-chamfered chancel arch with polygonal responds. Nave has 3-bay arcades with octagonal piers, polygonal responds, moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches. Perpendicular roof to nave with moulded principals, ridges and purlins, partly renewed. Piscina to north chapel with ogee-arched head,and also at end of south aisle. Circular font with intersecting arcading. 6 C15 stalls in chancel said to come from St. James Abbey near Northampton with carved arm-rests and misericords representing the Virgin of the Misericord, a lion and a dragon fighting, a seraph astride two figures, three seated female figures, Christ in Majesty, Christ's Entry in Jerusalem and small praying figure with another on horseback below. C15/early C16 screenwork in vestry, much repaired. Jacobean pulpit with 2 tiers of blank arches; pulpit door re-used in bottom half of low-side window. C14 stained glass to north-west window of chapel including arms. Painted glass roundels in chapel windows with coats of arms, 3 of which are dated 1632 and smaller c17 roundels said to came from Church of St. Madeleine, Beauvais; given by W.H. Fox Talbot of Laycock Abbey. c19 stained glass east and aisle windows. Monuments: oak effigy of knight said to be Sir Philip de Gayton, d.1316, an tomb-chest with ogee-headed crocketed panels in ogee-arched recess between chancel and chapel, which is crocketed and has pinnacles and finial. Stone effigy of lady said to be Scholastica, daughter of Philip de Gayton and wife of Godfrey de Meaux, who died l345, in many-moUlded tomb recess. Minature effigy of girl reset in same recess above, of Mabilla, daughter of Thomas de Murdak and Julianna, daughter of Philip de Gayton: found 1830 in chancel wall, Stone coffin lid with foliated cross in chapel. Early C16 chest tomb in recess on south side of chancel with depressed arch and battlements with Purbeck marble slab and matrix of brass in back wall, possibly to Robert Tanfield, d.1504. Alabaster chest tomb with incised slab representing Francis Tanfield, d.l558, and his wife Bridget, d.l583 and their 18 children; chest with shields in lozenges. Attributed to the Roileys of Burton-on-Trent. Incised slab to Lady Jane Harrington, d.1662. Brass plates mounted on wall to William Houghton, d.1600, with verse, and Mary Breton, d.1704. Large C18 marble monument to Lockwood family by Robert Blore with long inscription framed by columns. Wall monuments to Richard Kent, d.1753, and Richard Kent, d.1780, both vertical ovals with cartouches of arms and signed W. Cox, Northampton. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, 1973, pp.221-2; Kelly's Directory for Northamptonshire, 1928; Guide leaflet).

Listing NGR: SP7060254791


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 221-222
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1928)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jan 2007
Reference: IOE01/15989/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alistair F Nisbet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].