THE GATE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1041077

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Jun-1987

Statutory Address: THE GATE HOUSE, BROAD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GATE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041077 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 07:19:32.

Location

Statutory Address: THE GATE HOUSE, BROAD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Syresham

National Grid Reference: SP 62877 41690

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SYRESHAM BROAD STREET SP64SW (West side) 6/77 The Gate House 04/02/69 (Formerly listed as Syresham House) - II

House. c.1920-1925, by C.H. Biddulph-Pinchard. Coursed limestone rubble with ironstone dressings, parts timber-framed with brick infill, plain tile roofs, stone ridge stacks. Courtyard plan. C17 in style, incorporating old materials. 2 storeys. Entrance front has central carriage arch with moulded timber surround and Tudor-arched head in timber framed central bay with oriel window above entrance on curved brackets. Left wing is timber framed and has 3-light casement window to first floor centre with 2-light wood mullion and transom window to left, similar 3-light window to right, all with leaded lights. Wing to right has central projecting gabled bay with 5-light stone mullion and transom windows to ground and first floors with hood moulds flanked by similar 3-light windows to ground floor. Range to rear has similar stone mullion windows. Interior has dog-leg and open-well staircases with splat balusters and newel posts with ball finials, mostly re-used material and C17; a small room with fielded panelling, and timber bolection-moulded fireplace, both of late C17 or early C18 date; re-used C17 pegged panelling in drawing room which has concealed bookcase door and bedroom with plaster barrel vaulted ceiling. The house was built in at least 2 stages using materials from the old stone barns and brewhouse previously on the site. A plan of the entrance and right ranges is illustrated in 'The Principles of Architectural Composition', Howard Robertson, 1924, fig.132, p.120 when the house was known as Little earth. The remaining ranges were completed before 1925. That to left is known as the nursery wing. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.422; n.a., The Smaller House, Architectural Press:1924, pp57-9)

Listing NGR: SP6287741690

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 234587

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Smaller House, (1924), 57-9
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 422
Robertson, H, The Principles of Architectural Composition, (1924), 120

End of official listing