This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD RECTORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY

List entry Number: 1041416

Location

THE OLD RECTORY, A 1068

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Ashington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Dec-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235872

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WANSBECK A 1068 NZ 28 NE (East side) Sheepwash

2/1 The Old Rectory

GV II

Rectory. Probably late C17, remodelled and extended to rear in late C18, wings further extended and internal alterations early C19. Front squared stone, returns rubble, rear wings squared roughly-tooled stone; mixed blue/ purple slate roof with old brick stacks. South front 2 storeys, 3 bays. Ground floor 15-pane sashes forming French windows, with 12-pane sashes above except for triple plate-glass casement to left. Coped gables with end stacks. Left return shows 2 iron-latticed casements, formerly to attic, in gable end of main block; and 4-bay rear wing with ½-glazed door, with early C20 leaded glazing, and 12-pane sashes. Right return shows rear wing with radial-glazed arched stair window. To rear, original stair wing, set back between later wings, has old flush-panelled door under radial fanlight, 4- and 12-pane sashes, and reverse-stepped gable.

Interior: Dog-leg open-string stair with 3 stick balusters to each tread. Wreathed and ramped moulded handrail and moulded newels. Modillion cornice. On 1st floor segmental arches with moulded imposts and beaded keyblocks; 2-panel doors to bedrooms. 1st floor of front block has been a single chamber in the early C19, the east end now partitioned off: west part has spectacular ceiling, open to ridge, with lattice of faceted timbers covering each roof slope, collar beams similarly treated and heavy cornice with zigzag, dogtooth and billet moulding. Fireplace from Haggerstone Castle.

An extensive and interesting house, perhaps on a medieval site. The ruins of Sheepwash Church had been removed by the late C18-, but the rectory continued in use, serving Bothal Church (q.v.) until the late C19.

Listing NGR: NZ2555385884

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 25553 85884

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041416 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2018 at 12:59:46.

End of official listing