Hartford Hall

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1041423
Date first listed:
18-Oct-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
18-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
The Hall, Hartford Hall Estate, Bedlington, NE22 6AG

Map

Ordnance survey map of Hartford Hall
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041423 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 15:29:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
The Hall, Hartford Hall Estate, Bedlington, NE22 6AG

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
West Bedlington
National Grid Reference:
NZ 24485 80126

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/07/2019

NZ285W 1761/4/14

Bedlington Hartford Hall Estate The Hall Hartford Hall

(formerly listed as Hartford Hall, HARTFORD ROAD, WANSBECK, previously listed as Hartford House)

18.10.49

GV II* Country house, subdivided into apartments 2000-2004. c.1807 by William Stokoe, for William Burdon, altered c.1875 for Augustus Edward Burdon. Tooled ashlar with service wings of tooled-and-rnargined stone, meat store wood and wrought iron. Lakeland slate roof except for lead dome.

Rectangular block with service wings on east flanking narrow yard. North (entrance) front three storeys, 2+2+2 bays. Plinth, first floor band, second floor moulded cornice, sill bands to lower floors. Pedimented projecting centre with 1875 porch and porte-cochere with grouped piers at angles; porch has panelled double doors with oversight and three bay returns with pilasters and plate-glass sash windows. Similar windows to main elevation, those to lower floors with cornices on moulded brackets. Moulded eaves cornice; blocking course with heavy gadrooned vases at angles; left projecting flat-roofed two storey link to two storey five bay kitchen wing with twelve-pane sashes below six-pane casements in flat-topped half dormers. Single storey three bay part with renewed sashes on far left. South front shows similar fenestration and detail except that centre of main block is a full-height three window bow with central French window in architrave, and dome of c.1875; all windows curved-on plan. Some ground-floor windows have external blind cases.

To left, late C19 single storey four bay games room extension. Set back to right two storey service wing in two four bay sections; left part with ground floor sill band and eaves cornice; plainer right part, set further back, has re-set 1773 sundial. To rear of wing attached meat store with openwork ornamental panels, rounded corners and flat roof.

INTERIOR largely c1875. Throughout this house retains most of its original doors and window shutters. Entrance hall and corridors have parquet flooring and open-well closed-string stair with turned balusters. Rich plaster cornices; painted ceiling in lounge; late C19 stained and painted glass in porch (the four seasons, the elements etc.) and on stair. Former drawing room has ornate plaster ceiling with shallow dome and ornate frieze, cornice and original painted decoration. Former library has fitted mahogany bookcases with glazed doors, fitted mahogany bookshelves, mahogany fire surround and overmantle with mirror. Former dining room has Ionic columns, panelling and an eighteenth century style fireplace. Service rooms and bedrooms retain other features including one original bath. Cellars with segmental vaults, wine bins dated 1830 and thirteen different types of mason's mark.

Historical note: William Burdon was a noted liberal philosopher and author, Augustus Edward a high-ranking freemason (cf. memorial window in St. Cuthbert's Church, Bedlington).

Mid C20 brick link range between east end of service wing and stable block (q.v.) is not of special interest.

Listing NGR: NZ2448580126

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
235885
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03672/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Erik Borg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].